5 answers
Asked
1163 views
As a high school student interested in healthcare, what should I be doing now to prepare for a career as an RN, CRNA, NP, or PA?
I'm a junior in high school and I've already narrowed down my career/major options but I'm still undecided and am in need of advice.
Login to comment
5 answers
Updated
KAHUMA’s Answer
Hello Zahra,
I’m delighted to have the opportunity to answer your question. Honestly, you are already doing well. The fact that you are thinking about your future while still in high school shows that you are taking your career seriously, and that is a great place to start. I also want to applaud you for seeking advice early. The decisions and habits you develop now can play an important role in shaping the career you eventually build.
There are different educational pathways to becoming an RN, CRNA, NP, or PA, and each profession has its own requirements. However, the preparation you need at this stage is quite similar regardless of which path you eventually choose.
For now, I would strongly encourage you to focus on your academics. Work toward achieving good grades, particularly in subjects that will prepare you for healthcare-related programs, such as biology, chemistry, mathematics, and other sciences. At the same time, develop good personal and educational discipline. Learn how to manage your time, stay organized, meet deadlines, and remain consistent even when things become difficult. Remember, discipline and hard work are often the closest thing to a shortcut to success.
I would also encourage you to continue researching each of the four careers before making your final decision. Look beyond the job titles and learn about the education required, length of training, responsibilities, work environment, career progression, and what a typical day looks like for an RN, CRNA, NP, and PA. If possible, speak with healthcare professionals or look for opportunities to volunteer or gain exposure to healthcare settings. This can help you understand which career best matches your interests, strengths, and personality.
Most importantly, do not put unnecessary pressure on yourself to have everything figured out right now. You are still a junior in high school, so you have time to explore, learn, and make an informed decision. Keep asking questions, keep reading, use your time wisely, and continue working hard.
You have already taken an important step by thinking seriously about your future. Keep going, stay disciplined, and trust the process. The future is bright for those who prepare for it.
All the best in your journey,
Abbasi Kahuma, RN
I’m delighted to have the opportunity to answer your question. Honestly, you are already doing well. The fact that you are thinking about your future while still in high school shows that you are taking your career seriously, and that is a great place to start. I also want to applaud you for seeking advice early. The decisions and habits you develop now can play an important role in shaping the career you eventually build.
There are different educational pathways to becoming an RN, CRNA, NP, or PA, and each profession has its own requirements. However, the preparation you need at this stage is quite similar regardless of which path you eventually choose.
For now, I would strongly encourage you to focus on your academics. Work toward achieving good grades, particularly in subjects that will prepare you for healthcare-related programs, such as biology, chemistry, mathematics, and other sciences. At the same time, develop good personal and educational discipline. Learn how to manage your time, stay organized, meet deadlines, and remain consistent even when things become difficult. Remember, discipline and hard work are often the closest thing to a shortcut to success.
I would also encourage you to continue researching each of the four careers before making your final decision. Look beyond the job titles and learn about the education required, length of training, responsibilities, work environment, career progression, and what a typical day looks like for an RN, CRNA, NP, and PA. If possible, speak with healthcare professionals or look for opportunities to volunteer or gain exposure to healthcare settings. This can help you understand which career best matches your interests, strengths, and personality.
Most importantly, do not put unnecessary pressure on yourself to have everything figured out right now. You are still a junior in high school, so you have time to explore, learn, and make an informed decision. Keep asking questions, keep reading, use your time wisely, and continue working hard.
You have already taken an important step by thinking seriously about your future. Keep going, stay disciplined, and trust the process. The future is bright for those who prepare for it.
All the best in your journey,
Abbasi Kahuma, RN
Updated
Waqas’s Answer
Honestly, you’re already doing a lot right by thinking about this in your junior year. You definitely don’t need to have your whole career figured out yet. RN, CRNA, NP, and PA are all great options, but the paths are pretty different.For now, I’d focus on getting good grades, especially in your science classes like biology and chemistry. If your school offers anatomy or other health-related classes, those could be really helpful too.
I’d also try to get some real exposure to healthcare if you can. Volunteering at a hospital, clinic, nursing home, or even shadowing someone in healthcare can give you a much better idea of what the job is actually like. Sometimes a career sounds great on paper but feels completely different once you see it firsthand.
Another thing that helped me when I was figuring out my own career interests was talking to people who actually do the jobs. If you can, talk to an RN, NP, PA, and CRNA and ask them what their day-to-day work is like, what they enjoy, and what they wish they had known earlier.
And don’t feel pressured to choose one right now. You have plenty of time to figure it out. Pay attention to what you enjoy—working closely with patients, hands-on procedures, critical care, problem-solving, etc. That can help you figure out which path fits you best.
If I were you, I’d just focus on good grades, getting healthcare experience, and learning as much as possible about each career You’ll probably have a much clearer idea by the time you get to college.
I’d also try to get some real exposure to healthcare if you can. Volunteering at a hospital, clinic, nursing home, or even shadowing someone in healthcare can give you a much better idea of what the job is actually like. Sometimes a career sounds great on paper but feels completely different once you see it firsthand.
Another thing that helped me when I was figuring out my own career interests was talking to people who actually do the jobs. If you can, talk to an RN, NP, PA, and CRNA and ask them what their day-to-day work is like, what they enjoy, and what they wish they had known earlier.
And don’t feel pressured to choose one right now. You have plenty of time to figure it out. Pay attention to what you enjoy—working closely with patients, hands-on procedures, critical care, problem-solving, etc. That can help you figure out which path fits you best.
If I were you, I’d just focus on good grades, getting healthcare experience, and learning as much as possible about each career You’ll probably have a much clearer idea by the time you get to college.
Updated
Amanda’s Answer
Zahra,
If you have the opportunity, I would try to volunteer or get a part-time position in a hospital now. This way you are exposed to all the various roles and you could decide what best suits your personality and your career goals. Everyone has a key part to play but they are also so different. Good luck with everything
If you have the opportunity, I would try to volunteer or get a part-time position in a hospital now. This way you are exposed to all the various roles and you could decide what best suits your personality and your career goals. Everyone has a key part to play but they are also so different. Good luck with everything
Updated
Geoffrey M.’s Answer
If you’re already thinking seriously about RN, CRNA, NP, or PA as a junior in high school, you’re at a great point to start exploring. You do not need to choose your final career right now. In fact, I’d encourage you not to. Your goal right now should be exposure.
One important distinction is that these aren’t four completely separate starting paths. CRNA and NP both begin with becoming an RN. A CRNA is an advanced practice registered nurse who typically gains critical-care nursing experience before completing doctoral-level nurse anesthesia education. An NP also begins as an RN and then completes graduate-level advanced practice nursing education. A PA follows a different educational pathway, generally completing a bachelor’s degree with prerequisite sciences and healthcare experience before entering a graduate PA program.
If I were advising you as a high school junior, I would focus on a few things now:
* Build a strong science foundation. Take biology, chemistry, anatomy and physiology, statistics, psychology, and other advanced science courses available to you. Don’t worry about taking every possible AP class just to build a résumé. Learn the material well.
* Get into healthcare environments. Volunteer at a hospital, clinic, nursing home, hospice, rehabilitation facility, or community health organization. Even roles without direct patient care can teach you a tremendous amount about healthcare.
* Shadow different professionals. This may be the most valuable thing you can do. Try to shadow an RN, CRNA, NP, and PA. Don’t just ask what they earn or how long they went to school. Ask, “What does your life actually look like in this profession?”
* Consider an entry-level healthcare credential. Depending on what’s available where you live, CNA, EMT, phlebotomy, or another patient-care program can provide meaningful exposure. Some high schools and community colleges offer these through CTE or dual-enrollment programs.
* Look carefully at colleges and pathways. If nursing remains high on your list, research direct-admission BSN programs and understand their admission requirements. Community college ADN programs can also provide an excellent pathway into nursing, often followed by an RN-to-BSN program.
* Develop your human skills. Healthcare is science, but it is also deeply about people. Learn to communicate, listen, work on teams, handle difficult situations, advocate for others, and show empathy. Those skills will matter regardless of which profession you ultimately choose.
I would also encourage you to think less about the title and more about the work you want to do.
Do you want to spend significant time providing bedside care? Are you fascinated by anesthesia, physiology, and high-acuity environments? Do you want to diagnose and manage patients over time? Do you like the PA model and the flexibility it can provide across specialties?
Those questions may tell you much more than simply asking, “Which career should I pick?”
Most importantly, give yourself permission to not know yet. You are a junior in high school. Explore, shadow, ask questions, and pay attention to the moments when you think, “I could see myself doing this.”
Healthcare needs talented people, but it also needs people who genuinely care about other human beings. Whatever pathway you ultimately choose, never lose that part of why you wanted to enter healthcare in the first place.
One important distinction is that these aren’t four completely separate starting paths. CRNA and NP both begin with becoming an RN. A CRNA is an advanced practice registered nurse who typically gains critical-care nursing experience before completing doctoral-level nurse anesthesia education. An NP also begins as an RN and then completes graduate-level advanced practice nursing education. A PA follows a different educational pathway, generally completing a bachelor’s degree with prerequisite sciences and healthcare experience before entering a graduate PA program.
If I were advising you as a high school junior, I would focus on a few things now:
* Build a strong science foundation. Take biology, chemistry, anatomy and physiology, statistics, psychology, and other advanced science courses available to you. Don’t worry about taking every possible AP class just to build a résumé. Learn the material well.
* Get into healthcare environments. Volunteer at a hospital, clinic, nursing home, hospice, rehabilitation facility, or community health organization. Even roles without direct patient care can teach you a tremendous amount about healthcare.
* Shadow different professionals. This may be the most valuable thing you can do. Try to shadow an RN, CRNA, NP, and PA. Don’t just ask what they earn or how long they went to school. Ask, “What does your life actually look like in this profession?”
* Consider an entry-level healthcare credential. Depending on what’s available where you live, CNA, EMT, phlebotomy, or another patient-care program can provide meaningful exposure. Some high schools and community colleges offer these through CTE or dual-enrollment programs.
* Look carefully at colleges and pathways. If nursing remains high on your list, research direct-admission BSN programs and understand their admission requirements. Community college ADN programs can also provide an excellent pathway into nursing, often followed by an RN-to-BSN program.
* Develop your human skills. Healthcare is science, but it is also deeply about people. Learn to communicate, listen, work on teams, handle difficult situations, advocate for others, and show empathy. Those skills will matter regardless of which profession you ultimately choose.
I would also encourage you to think less about the title and more about the work you want to do.
Do you want to spend significant time providing bedside care? Are you fascinated by anesthesia, physiology, and high-acuity environments? Do you want to diagnose and manage patients over time? Do you like the PA model and the flexibility it can provide across specialties?
Those questions may tell you much more than simply asking, “Which career should I pick?”
Most importantly, give yourself permission to not know yet. You are a junior in high school. Explore, shadow, ask questions, and pay attention to the moments when you think, “I could see myself doing this.”
Healthcare needs talented people, but it also needs people who genuinely care about other human beings. Whatever pathway you ultimately choose, never lose that part of why you wanted to enter healthcare in the first place.
Updated
Kayden’s Answer
Hi Zahra! This is a very good question and I love to see that you are thinking ahead.
I had a lot of pre-requisites for nursing school, and coming in with some of them already done was very helpful. If your high-school offers a dual enrollment opportunity with a local community college I would recommend doing that. I would take English 101 and 102, as well as Psych 101. I would also get chemistry and math out of the way. If you know what colleges you may be interested in you can reach out to make sure the classes would transfer for credits!
Also, if your school has a career and tech where you can do a nursing assistant program or something in the healthcare field I would recommend that. It is helpful to get hands on experience to make sure it is what you want to do. It also helps to go into clinical already having some hands on experience and knowledge.
I had a lot of pre-requisites for nursing school, and coming in with some of them already done was very helpful. If your high-school offers a dual enrollment opportunity with a local community college I would recommend doing that. I would take English 101 and 102, as well as Psych 101. I would also get chemistry and math out of the way. If you know what colleges you may be interested in you can reach out to make sure the classes would transfer for credits!
Also, if your school has a career and tech where you can do a nursing assistant program or something in the healthcare field I would recommend that. It is helpful to get hands on experience to make sure it is what you want to do. It also helps to go into clinical already having some hands on experience and knowledge.