How can I stand out in my first job interviews if I have just graduated with a degree in Business Administration?
How can I stand out in my first job interviews if I have just graduated with a degree in Business Administration?
Hello everyone. I have just finished my degree in Business Management and Administration and I am looking for my first formal job in administrative or inventory control/logistics areas. I would like to know what advice professionals would give me to compensate for the lack of formal work experience when applying and interviewing. Thank you so much!
11 answers
Wong’s Answer
Before applying, tailor your resume to each position. Highlight relevant coursework, university projects, internships, volunteering, or group projects that demonstrate organization, problem-solving, communication, Excel, data analysis, inventory management, or logistics knowledge. For inventory and logistics roles, learning tools such as Excel, inventory software, and basic data analysis can also help.
In interviews, prepare specific examples from university or other experiences. For example, you could explain how you organized a group project, solved a problem, managed deadlines, analyzed information, or handled a disagreement with teammates. Even if the experience wasn't from a formal job, it can demonstrate transferable skills.
Heather’s Answer
Olga’s Answer
Other professionals have mentioned all the good points you need to bring into consideration. I'll add something I think is usually underestimated in interviews: the level of ENERGY and person that you are. For a role that is a good fit for someone who is starting, the most important characteristics int he person are:
- Ability to learn, interest and curiosity. Being a fast learner is someone any manager will appreciate
- Positive energy bringing a nice atmosphere to the new team where good collaboration and gratitude are always present
- Showing you are the kind of person that people want to work with and a manager can trust
Hope this helps. Best wishes in your adventures!
Olga
Olga recommends the following next steps:
Guilherme’s Answer
Cliff’s Answer
Good question. There are a number of things you can do to stand out.
1. I agree with the previous comment - tailor your resume to the position/company you are applying to.
2. Dress appropriately when you meet the prospective interviewer. It may not need to be business formal, but it should be a step up from casual dress.
3. Research the company you are talking with. Make sure you have good questions to ask them about what they make/deliver. Ask about the positions of interest to you. Be attentive and maintain eye contact.
4. Talk as much about what you can do for them as what they can do for you. Stress your previous experiences that will fit into their company.
5. Point out things of interest (i.e. education, experiences, skills, etc.) on your resume that should be important to the interviewer. If things don't look great on your resume, own them and give some explanation as to why this is the case. Don't try to hide or deceive in any way.
6. If the company has recently been in the news lately, ask them about it and what that means.
7. If you haven't done many interviews, ask the interviewer for feedback on how you did so you can improve. Show that you are willing to learn and change.
8. Maintain a positive and upbeat attitude throughout the entire experience. Make a good impression so the interviewer will remember you later.
It's a tough job environment, but you can break through if you work hard at it.
Thanks!
Beth’s Answer
Colleen’s Answer
Colleen recommends the following next steps:
Michael’s Answer
I would make sure one of your questions focuses on “What does success in this role look like?”
One question I like to ask is: “If I get the job, when we get to the end of my first year, what will I have needed to accomplish for you to consider me successful in this role?”
That question can give you a lot of insight into what the company values and what they will expect from you.
Amanda’s Answer
Another small tip - many companies will offer you a water or coffee while you wait for the interview to begin (if it is in person). Make sure you look to properly dispose of the beverage and cup before you go back for the interview. It shows you're conscientious and some companies really pay attention to this.
Charu’s Answer
First and foremost - stay honest about yourself. It always helps you and the interviewer to assess the genuine fit.
Secondly, for business admin careers (as you mentioned the lack of formal experience), you should focus on what you have learnt so far. highlight the skills that you have learnt and also the soft skills that you may have demonstrated throughout your student journey:
1. any projects where you have contributed significantly or led from the front
2. Internships or volunteering
3. Any events that you organised independently or in groups
Basically showcasing your capability of taking ownership. when you mention skills, backing them with examples always make them stronger.
Thirdly, whichever organisation you are interviewing for, learn about it and the role, so that you are more confident during the interview and can directly or indirectly mention where you may add value. As a fresher - one point always stands out it that you bring a fresh perspective and are curious and willing to learn.
All the best Emily!