What are the best ways to build your portfolio and showcase your work as engineers?

9

Hi! I'm currently a graduate student studying mechanical engineering and I'm interested in working in mechanical design after I finish my degree. As I've been working on some small designs using Autodesk Inventor, I've be looking for ways to showcase my design in a portfolio, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it professionally. #engineering #engineer #mechanical-engineering #mechanical-design #autocad #autodesk-inventor #autodesk-fusion-360 #solidworks #jewelry-design #consumer-product-design #tool-design

9

Maurice’s Answer

3
One of the best ways I know of is to either create a professional website about yourself, including hobbies , projects, and some of the work you have done. Or look into some of the freelance site for projects to get in the door. Side note look into other CAD software. Depending on what type of consumer products you may want to design those companies may use different software
Awesome. I've been thinking about a website, but of course I still don't know how to make one. I know I can find some tutorials on YouTube though. Thank you! Melvin S. Translate
3

Steve’s Answer

2
Hi Melvin,

A very common way is to create a website. Now you don't need to learn how to "Create website" as you have out-of-the-box platforms that allow you to really focus on your content: your project.
A few solutions out there that I have used:
- wordpress: great for portfolio and blogs, but it might take you some time to set one up
- squarespace: I use it for two side project, I would highly recommend you to look into it (other any other similar website builder such as Wix, or Weebly)

Now as counter-intuitive as it might sound, you don't need to focus so much on a website. What you could focus on is first organizing your portfolio using platform like Microsoft Word, or PowerPoint, or Evernote to put everything together.
Why this alternative?
Wel,l when applying for a job or internship you can send this simple document to the recruiter. The most important is to showcase your work document your project in an organized way, not so much the platform you are using.

I would also recommend you to look at Company like Dassault Systems if you have interest in CAD.

Cheers

Steve recommends the following next steps:

• https://www.squarespace.com/website-design/
  • https://3ds.com
2

Peter’s Answer

1
Hello, Melvin. You failed to mention whether your were pursuing a masters degree or a doctorate. I will assume that it is the former.

I will give you the advice I have always given to any student in a Graduate Program. Perhaps the most effective way to showcase your ability is to pursue a research option (as opposed to a comprehensive exam). The experience you gain in the development of a Master's Thesis will demonstrate your initiative far more than taking a comprehensive exam for your degree. In addition, your thesis makes for an excellent discussion during an interview with a prospective employer. During my many years in the consulting business, I always looked forward to discussing a candidate's research work, as it gave me a great way to really evaluate the talents of the candidate.

Good Luck, Pete Sturtevant, PE
Hi Peter. Yes I didnt mention that I am a masters student, and I am doing a thesis, but I just didn't think it was necessary to mention that at the time. Regardless, thanks for your input! Melvin S. Translate
1

Peter’s Answer

1

Good Luck, Pete Sturtevant, PE
1

Benjamin’s Answer

1
The suggestions above for creating a portfolio document or website are great. Another option would be adding some of your work samples to your profile on LinkedIn, which will help your profile stand out when people are searching for MEs.

There are a number of great guides and examples online. Search "mechanical engineering portfolio" to find one that resonates with you.
Oh wow, that's a good point, will do! Thanks Benjamin! Melvin S. Translate
1

Giovanni’s Answer

0
If you need it done professionally you could create a website or use LinkedIn in order to upload your work and showcase it in your media. Employers will look at your page and give reach out to you if they like what they see.

Hope this helps,
0

Giovanni’s Answer

0

Hope this helps,
Interesting, will do. Thanks Giovanni! Melvin S. Translate
0