Am I able to switch majors?

2

I am currently looking at majoring in Psychology, but I am so worried that it won't turn out how I'd expect it to. Will I be able to switch my major if I decide on a different one?

2

Kishma’s Answer

0

Universities typically allow students to switch majors but please be prepared for the additional course work and cost. I would advise that you find a volunteer opportunity in your field of interest so you can use that time to determine if that's the right major for you. In addition, you may want to speak to a few individuals who majored in Psychology. They may be able to provide some insight which can help you with your decision.

Good luck!!! I am confident you will figure it out...

I really appreciate your comment! I have been considering psychology for a year or two now and am also PSEO and have taken a few into courses so I know I like the classes and have efficiently learned the material but I'm worried that I'll switch my mind eventually. But thank you for your recommendations. I will definitely look into finding those opportunities! Thank you!! Taylor E. Translate
0

Linda Ann’s Answer

0

Taylor,
Seventy to eight percent of college freshman change their majors after the first years. IF you stay within the liberal arts as a new major in psychology, those psychology credits will probably count toward general education requirements! So you should first review the school's curriculum for various majors and then having a sense of all of the requirements for psychology, go and have a conversation or two with your assigned adviser. That is the purpose of having an adviser - to guide you in making the correct choices given the requirements of the college or university you are attending.

Some schools allow you to be "undeclared" for 2-3 semesters; in cases like this, you would be taking coursework to fulfill general education requirements at first and sampling various disciplines to ascertain the best course of action to follow in selecting a college major.

0