How can I find opportunities for this summer?

I am looking for tips on finding internships in nursing or healthcare field #nursing #internships #nurse #health-care

5

Maria’s Answer

Usually, you can contact hospital’s volunteer department and see if opportunities are available. If you are a nursing student, internships/externships are posted on sites like indeed. Make sure you have a resume available.

1

Sarah’s Answer

For outpatient experience: I gained a lot of valuable experience from shadowing when I was a student. Some practices are very student friendly and will allow you to shadow providers. I would pick a specialty that sounds interesting to you, contact offices in your area, and let them know you are trying to gain more information about healthcare. I would look at their website before you call so you have a better idea of what services they provide and may help you develop specific questions to ask while you are there. If you aren't sure which specialty you are interested in, you could always look into primary care. They get a mixture of a lot of different disease processes.

For more of an impatient experience: You can also contact large hospital systems and inquire about volunteer opportunities. These often require a more significant on boarding process: i.e. background checks, resume, etc.

Not sure where you are in your education, but another option if you are looking for introductory work experience would be to get your CNA license and work as a patient care tech. This can really help build your resume and looks really good on nursing school applications. https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHCQ/LCP/Pages/Certified-Nurse-Assistant-Training-Programs.aspx

Good Luck!

1

Allyn’s Answer

Many hospitals and Healthcare facilities hire nursing students as patient care techs. It is a great way to gain experience and investigate areas of interest to you. It is a great foot in the door after graduation. Best of luck.

1