What are the benefits of being self published versus going with a publisher?

2

#publications #self-publishing #publisher #publishing #author
I've been working on a novel for a long time, and it's currently in the stages of editing. I feel like I bit of an advantage on other authors by being a high school senior when I'm published, since I know I need all the help I can get in this highly competitive field. However, I don't know which path I should pursue. Are the publication contests worth it, or do they not get my writing out to enough people? Should I go with a big publisher? Or attempt to self-publish? Thank you!

2

Erica’s Answer

1

Hi Christina. Great to know that you are a writer. I am a writer as well. I will say from experience that its okay to want your book published by a big publisher if you have the opportunity. Big publisher meaning publishers like Harper Collins and Simon & Schuster. These publishers have the funds to invest more into your marketing and promotional work that will be needed to get your books out to everyone. I'm sure you are a great writer and would like for the world to see your work. I had big publishing opportunities for my first book but I took the self-publishing option because of royalties. My books are still distributed throughout the world but I also have to make sure that I have my own marketing and promotional campaigns. If you're very passionate about writing and very driven (which I'm sure you are) I would take the self-publishing option. Technology has changed over the years and there are a lot of free resources available on the internet. Good Luck and I can't wait to read some of your work.

So you think that in terms of intellectual property a driver author is better off being self-published? I too have several books edited and written and would like to know the answer to this question. Trinity G.
1