1 answer

If I wanted to be a doctor that helps other people with Celiac disease, what type of doctor would I want to become?

Asked Beaverton, Oregon

Would an Allergist or Immunologist be helping anyone with autoimmune diseases? #celiac #coeliac #doctor #allergist #immunologist

1 answer

Kim’s Answer

Updated San Antonio, Texas


According to the Mayo Clinic, the disease is treated by a Gastroenterologist (digestive disease doctor) or the hepatology department (liver disease). I was expecting to see Rheumatology, which treats many autoimmune conditions. Some diseases are more complex than others, and result in the patient having a team of physicians. For example, I see a Rheumatologist for my Rheumatoid Arthritis and Sjogren's Syndrome, as well as an Eye Doctor who specializes in dry eye treatment, a Pain Management Doctor, and, on occasion, a Hand Specialist, who injects the joints of my fingers, and a dermatologist who treats the skin conditions I get as a result of my autoimmune condition. Communication between these doctors is critical!

Thank you for taking an interest in autoimmune issues!