Skip to main content
2 answers
4
Updated 577 views

#spring26 I’d like to get into advocacy or lobbying for nonprofits, what pathways lead to or prepare you for these types of positions ?

What is a solid pathway to advocacy for reentry programs and nonprofits in general? Are there any colleges that you can recommend? Groups or organizations that I should look into? How can I earn money in this field?


4

2 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Ashley’s Answer

Hi Angela! It's great to see how passionate you are about advocacy. There are many ways to pursue this career. I suggest focusing on both soft and technical skills rather than just specific programs. Consider taking classes in financial management, governance, public policy, communications, social work, public relations, and even entrepreneurship. These skills can help you succeed in various areas of advocacy. Keep up the great work!

Ashley recommends the following next steps:

check out what programs local organizations in your area have active, and see how you'd want to improve it or what gaps in data, funding or awareness exist, such as: Central City Concern, SE Works, and the Northwest Regional Re-Entry Center.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for your insight! This advice is very helpful, finding gaps in current programs is a strong lead for what I’m looking for. So appreciated. Angela
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Gessie’s Answer

This is a wonderful question. There is no one path to get involved with advocacy for a non-for-profit. Lobbying however does and would involve a different sector as there are set parameters non-for-profits work from when it comes to advocating for issues most pressing to their beneficiaries. To start I would recommend volunteering for an upcoming state/local or federal election campaign. What that will do for you is give you hands on experience and connect you to a network of people who may possibly do the work that you desire to one day do. Remember, our network is our net worth. Then once you feel ready, I would find a cause you are most passionate about and do your research on what is most pressing on that issue and start looking for local non-for-profits doing the impactful work in that set area, then I would look to see if they have an advocacy or Public policy arm to the work that they do and apply for any open roles they may have in that department. Wishing you and any on a similar path all the best.
0