Skip to main content
4 answers
5
Asked 531 views

How do professionals break into theater or entertainment marketing in a city like New York without prior industry connections, and what experiences in college actually make the biggest difference when applying for those roles?

I have a strong interest in theater and entertainment marketing because I have been heavily involved in the performing arts throughout high school, including musical theater, choir, and leadership roles. As I start college in New York City, I want to be intentional about building experience early on in this field, especially since I do not currently have existing industry connections and am eager to learn the best ways to break into the industry.


5

4 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Steve’s Answer

Explore your college's courses in entertainment marketing, but also dive into other filmmaking and video production areas. This will give you a solid grasp of what it takes to create a film or TV show. If you can, try making your own trailers or promos for movies without watching the existing ones. Although the industry is getting smaller and can be tough to enter, stay determined. Network to find your first chance and get ready to shine!
Thank you comment icon Thank you! Annie
Thank you comment icon What an explanation. Kumar Rishav
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Christine’s Answer

Annie, it's great that you're thinking about this early and being intentional about building experience while you're in college.

One thing I'd keep in mind is that there isn't just one path into theater or entertainment marketing. Many people build careers in the industry through a variety of experiences that may not look directly connected at first. In my own career, I worked on large-scale entertainment initiatives at Amazon alongside major studios, distributors, and independent filmmakers. While my role wasn't a traditional entertainment marketing role, it gave me exposure to the industry and helped me build skills that translated well across future opportunities.

If I were you, I'd spend some time thinking about which aspects of theater and entertainment excite you most. If you're drawn to the creative side, look for opportunities in productions, content creation, storytelling, or audience engagement. If you're interested in the business side, consider building skills in marketing, business strategy, partner management, audience insights, and business development.

I wouldn't worry too much about having industry connections today. Focus instead on creating meaningful experiences. Get involved in student organizations, work on productions, pursue internships, volunteer for events, and take on projects that help you build real skills. Intentional experiences often lead to strong connections over time.

Most importantly, stay curious and keep exploring. Marketing skills are highly transferable, and there are many ways to find your way into entertainment. The combination of your passion for theater and a strong foundation of skills and experiences will create opportunities, even if the path doesn't look exactly the way you expect it to today.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Hailey’s Answer

First off, love how specific you are in what you are wanting to accomplish. If you have a background/passion for theatre arts/entertainment and spinning that into marketing for that - that's great. Do you follow any particular actors/marketers on social channels? A way to meet those people is to hangout and network where they are - living there you will easily find those people. There are numerous LinkedIn groups you can join, and many on Tik Tok/Insta people you can follow and ask how they got started. As a theatre person, I know you are already gregarious and outgoing. Find a mentor, and get introduced to people in the business - and don't be shy!
Thank you comment icon Thank you for taking the time to help. Annie
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Edith’s Answer

Hi Annie,

I completely get where you're coming from. I had a similar start, knowing very few people and having limited knowledge. What really helped me was networking while I was in school. I was determined to focus on costume design, not just the technical side, and I chose a great school that became a stepping stone for my career. It's where I started building my network. Having professors with strong industry connections can really help you break into the field. It's interesting how many of us end up working with people we know.

If you're aiming to work in NYC, be ready and available because things move quickly there.

Many of my friends found success in summer stock theatre. Places like Santa Fe Opera, Utah Shakes, Illinois Shakespeare, Aspen Theatre, APT in Wisconsin, and the Goodman Theatre are great for making connections that can lead to opportunities in NYC and beyond. Trying different types of theatre can also be beneficial.

Joining Facebook groups was another useful way to find job postings. There are other methods, but FB groups are well connected.

If you're interested in marketing, consider taking a business class. It's important for theatre professionals to understand contract management and negotiation. Business knowledge can also help you understand how theatres plan their seasons and market their shows. Learning to budget and manage large budgets is crucial.
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much! Annie
Thank you comment icon What an explanation. Kumar Rishav
0