Skip to main content
6 answers
9
Updated 672 views

What do I do for my future?

Hello, I am a highschool student currently entering 12th grade and extremely confused and concerned for my future. I live in UAE and I am unsure whether to continue my life here and study here or move to the US and get my degree there. I also have no clue of what I want to major in. I do know I have a strong passion towards chemistry! I enjoy the thought of lab work. I enjoy math but I wouldn't say id base my whole future on math, although my math grades are decent. I used to like biology and I even thought of becoming a doctor but then, I actually got into the biology course and got well.. screwed! I passed but it was a struggle. I still feel like biology is a big part of my interests but it has definitely moved down the chart especially because of that humbling grade and humbling experience which genuinely bummed me out. I did think about pharmacy but I feel like that has too much biology and its too niche (this is my preference) I also thought about being a biomedical scientist but idk don't get me wrong its a great career but I just want to do something which has people in AWE like wow she did that! The pay also matters a lot to me. I also struggle with anxiety and some other sort of stuff I can't seem to figure out which is making everything 10x times harder so id really really appreciate some support :) Thank you.


9

6 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jacques’s Answer

You are feeling overwhelmed because you are attempting to solve your entire life, your career, your geographic location, and your internal anxieties all in a single moment. When you look at the future as a massive, unsolved equation, anxiety is natural because the future does not exist anywhere except in your imagination. Chemistry, mathematics, and biology are not rigid cages that dictate your destiny; they are simply tools to sharpen your mind. The grade that humbled you in biology is not a verdict on your intelligence or your potential; it is merely feedback showing you where your focus was lacking. Do not build a career path based on seeking the awe and approval of others, nor on the fear of failure, because living for external validation will only leave you internally hollow regardless of your paycheck. Step back from the mental panic and focus on the step directly in front of you today. Invest your complete involvement into expanding your competence, nurturing your well-being, and finishing your senior year with clarity. When your internal system is stable and your intellect is sharp, the right opportunities and choices will naturally reveal themselves without friction.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Valeria’s Answer

I don’t think you’re as lost as you feel. You actually have a pretty clear starting point: you love chemistry, enjoy lab work, don’t mind math, and want a career that is challenging, impressive, and financially rewarding. That’s enough to start exploring. I also wouldn’t let one difficult biology class decide your future. It may simply mean you don’t want a biology-heavy career and that’s completely okay.

As for the UAE vs. US, don’t decide based on the country alone. Compare actual universities, costs, scholarships, research opportunities, internships, and graduate outcomes. A strong degree in the UAE can absolutely lead to opportunities abroad later.

Most importantly, don’t feel like you need to discover your lifelong career at 17/18. Your goal right now is simply to explore enough to figure out what you want to try next. And honestly, you’re already doing that. You’re not behind!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Lyann’s Answer

It’s completely normal to feel unsure at your age. Based on what you shared, chemistry seems to be your strongest interest, so I would encourage you to explore majors like Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or Biochemistry. These fields combine lab work, problem-solving, and strong career opportunities.

Try not to let one difficult biology class determine your future. Struggling in a subject does not mean you cannot succeed in a related field. Also, focus on finding a career you enjoy rather than one that simply impresses others. Success and respect usually come from doing something you are passionate about and becoming excellent at it.

For now, research different majors, talk to professionals in those fields, and take things one step at a time. You do not need to have your entire future figured out in 12th grade. 😊
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Juan’s Answer

Hi Lana,
I second Jacques’s answer. I am based in the US, so I am not sure about the culture in UAE, but here in the US there is a lot of pressure put on high school students to figure out their whole lives in high school.

Just a couple thoughts that you may find helpful:

Juan recommends the following next steps:

You don't have to pick a major- some schools in the US offer the major of "undecided". I know some friends that stayed "undecided" for the first 2 years of college until they found something they like.
Embrace flexibility. Research what percent of people work in the area they majored in (hint: you would be surprised)
Set yourself up for success. If you DO need to pick a major, it may alleviate some anxiety to have a plan B. How can you switch majors if possible? Look at specific major requirements and check if course credits are transferrable
Control what you can control. I loved chemistry in highschool, hence why I decided to major in it. Then I realized two years later I didn't really enjoy the lab work, but that prompted me to do some research and find many desk jobs that were able to benefit from my lab experiences.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Tim’s Answer

Hi Lana!

It's completely normal to be unsure about what to study in college. Exploring careers that interest you is a great start, and a US degree might open up more opportunities. Remember, many students change their majors, so you're not alone. A Business degree can be versatile, especially if you're considering the corporate world.

Here are some steps to help you find the right path. This is an exciting time for you! Try to enjoy the journey, and don't forget to make good connections along the way. Networking is a valuable skill that can really help you.

Tim recommends the following next steps:

Informational interviews with professional in roles that interest you
Investigate what degrees matter in terms of the roles that interest you. Are they mandatory?
Get a mentor, if you can
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Kim’s Answer

Lana,

I just want to address one point, because, I don't know a lot about the sciences.

But. . . one bad experience with a subject, one mediocre grade, might not be a true reflection of your aptitude in the field. It could be the teacher! Honestly. What experience did other students have in that class? That might let you know if the teacher was a hard grader, failed to teach in a manner that students understood the material, failed to reinforce the lessons, etc. If you were really interested in biology, and there are other teachers available, I'd recommend trying another related class before totally moving on to something else.

Kim
0