My question is what would a day-in-the-life of an electrical engineer consist of Would this job require college/schooling/an apprenticeship as-well??
I'm in 11th grade and I honestly have a rough idea on what I'm interested in pursuing (Electrical Engineering) but I don't know for sure if this is the career for me. I know it requires a lot of brainpower and it is a harder career to pursue. My dad said basically I would be guiding the electricians on the job site and mostly sitting creating designs/etc. not really doing the hard hands-on work that beats up your body. I have good grades and a high GPA, I have a 23 on the ACT (still trying to improve that), and I live in Southern Mississippi on the Gulf Coast. I would like to help people when I get older, preferably directly and indirectly. And I don't really want to sit in a desk ALL day, but I don't mind the occasional couple hours of working while sitting. I don't think I'd want to go into the military. I know that I'm probably gonna need to go to some sort of school after high-school to cover Tri-Care for my medical stuff. I don't know how long I would need to go to school for though.
4 answers
Cliff’s Answer
I think Electrical Engineering is an excellent major to pursue... I'm biased, though, because that is what I did for a major. There are many different specialty areas you can go into for EE, so you should find someone who got this degree or find a way to shadow a technical person to help you narrow things down a bit. What you do with your degree depends a lot on the company you get hired into. You could be managing electricians or be a circuit designer or be in charge of a power distribution network or a myriad of other tasks. It really all depends
I got my degree in 1982 and thought I would be designing circuits for computers as I hired onto a company that made computers. Not long after I joined my company, I realized I wasn't as good of a circuit designer as many others, so I promptly went into firmware and have been in that area ever since. I have been a firmware developer (programming), firmware builder (pulling in other's programming output), firmware tester, firmware project manager, and finally a manager of other firmware developers. My job nowadays consists of meetings with employees, helping people grow in their job, and handling general management assignments. When I was a firmware developer, I would write, test, and integrate my firmware and then work on any issues that came up. Nowadays, we use Agile development so there are scrums regularly to talk about the work you have done, what you plan to do today, and any blockers you have.
I would take as many technical classes as you can, do PSOE to get college credit while in high school, study hard for the ACT and then retake it. You need to do what you can to get into a college and then get good grades while there. While in college, find an internship at a company so you broaden your experiences and help you decide exactly what you want to do.
I hope that helps! Good luck.
Teklemuz’s Answer
Since you're in 11th grade, try taking advanced math and physics classes. Get involved in an electronics or robotics project, like working with Arduino. Volunteering can also help you build teamwork and communication skills. If you can, shadow an electrical engineer or find an internship to gain hands-on experience. Look into ABET-accredited programs near the Mississippi Gulf Coast, like Mississippi State's Engineering on the Coast, and check out scholarships and financial aid options.
William’s Answer
Thank you very much for your elaborate query. Your desire to become an electrical engineer is highly commendable.
Your daily routines as an electrical engineer will depend upon the roles you occupy when you become one.
The common roles you will be exposed to in your practice include design, production/manufacturing, maintenance, projects, utilities, consulting, research and development, teaching in institutions of higher learning.
With additional training in leadership and management, you could get opportunities to work at all levels of an organization.
At the level of practice, practical knowledge is extremely important - technicians can easily push you around if you are not well versed with the practical work they do. Besides, they will look up to you when faced with technical challenges they cannot resolve.
You therefore need to take every opportunity available to get involved in practical work. Apprenticeships, mentorships and internships all offer you the opportunity to gain practical competence through experience.
It is also useful to note that throughout human history, engineering has always focused on resolving some of the pressing needs of society. Meeting important human needs provides a sustainable pathway to financial freedom.
You also need to be mindful that the opportunities that come our way have a tendency to take us into new areas we might have never envisioned earlier. This means that you should keep an open mind and embrace new things.
Best of luck in your studies and career.
Sijoy’s Answer
Electrical engineering is an exciting career that mixes design, analysis, and problem-solving with teamwork. Each day is different, with a mix of desk work like designing circuits and field work like testing systems and working with electricians. To start this career, you will need a 4-year college degree in electrical engineering.
Here's what a typical day looks like:
Morning: Team meetings to discuss project goals and work together with other engineers.
Mid-Morning: Designing and analyzing using tools like AutoCAD Electrical and MATLAB. This includes creating schematics and running simulations.
Afternoon: Testing and implementing, which means visiting sites, checking circuits, and working with electricians.
End of Day: Writing reports and preparing for the next steps.
Work Balance: It's not just desk work. You will spend time in labs and on-site to make sure everything works well.
Education Path:
Bachelor’s Degree: A 4-year program in electrical engineering is needed.
Licensing: Many engineers in the U.S. get a Professional Engineer (PE) license after gaining experience.
Graduate Study: A master’s degree can help you specialize but isn't necessary to start.
Apprenticeships: These are for electricians, not engineers. Engineers design and guide, while electricians do the hands-on work.
Things to Think About:
Your Strengths: With your strong grades and improving ACT score, you are ready for engineering programs.
Career Fit: If you want to make a difference, electrical engineering helps in healthcare, renewable energy, and infrastructure.
Lifestyle: Expect a mix of desk and field work. It's less physically demanding than being an electrician but needs focus and problem-solving skills.
Schooling Length: Plan for 4 years of college. Some roles might need internships.
My Personal Advice: Electrical engineering is challenging but rewarding. It needs a college degree and offers a mix of design and real-world work. With your academic strengths and desire to help, it could be a great fit, especially in areas like renewable energy or medical devices.
Wishing you clarity and confidence as you consider this path.