Skip to main content
2 answers
2
Asked 85 views

How can students make their college application essays more personal and meaningful?

I’m currently learning more about the college application process, and one thing I’ve noticed is that writing the personal essay can be difficult even when you have plenty of experiences to talk about.

How do students figure out which experiences are actually worth including in a college essay? I’m especially interested in how to move beyond simply listing achievements and instead explain what an experience taught you or how it changed the way you think.

I recently came across some guidance from CollegeEssay.org that encouraged focusing on the story and personal meaning behind an experience rather than trying to make the essay sound impressive. I found that approach helpful because it made me think more about reflection, voice, and what I actually want an admissions reader to understand about me.

For students who have already gone through the college application process, what helped you decide which story to use for your personal essay?

Thanks for any advice!


2

2 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jane’s Answer

Hi Taren! Having lots of experiences can actually make this harder—you start wondering which one is “good enough.” I’d give yourself permission to start with something small. You don’t need an extraordinary event to have something meaningful to say.
Try writing down three moments you still think about, and ask yourself:
What did I believe or expect before this happened?
What surprised me, challenged me, or made me uncomfortable?
What do I do differently now because of it?
For example, if you tutored someone, “I learned patience” is a starting point. But maybe you remember feeling frustrated when your explanation didn’t help, then realizing you hadn’t asked how they understood the problem. That moment gives you something specific to explore: how you learned to listen and adjust.
Before choosing, write a short, messy paragraph about each memory. Which one makes you think, “There’s more I want to say here”? That’s often a useful place to start.
Then tell it as if you were talking to someone you trust. You can polish the wording later. When you ask for feedback, ask, “Does this sound like me?” as well as “Is it clear?”
And please don’t feel you have to share your most painful experience or wrap everything up with a perfect lesson. You’re still growing. An honest account of something you’re beginning to understand can say a lot about who you are.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rithvika’s Answer

Here are four key strategies that I feel will help make a college essay personal, authentic, and memorable:

1. Zoom in on a "Micro-Moment" Rather than a Big Milestone
The Trap: Trying to summarize an entire four-year sports season, mission trip, or robotics competition.

The Fix: Pick a small, specific scene—e.g., the 10 minutes spent fixing a broken gear in a messy garage, or a difficult conversation at the dinner table. Small moments give you room for sensory detail, humor, and authentic self-reflection that huge events tend to crowd out.

2. Prioritize the Shift in Perspective (The "So What?")
A meaningful essay isn’t about what happened to you; it’s about who you became because of it:

Before: What was your initial mindset, assumption, or approach?

The Pivot: What moment challenged that worldview or exposed a blind spot?

After: How do you approach similar situations, relationships, or problems today?

If you spend 30% of the essay setting up the context and 70% reflecting on the growth/mindset shift, the essay will naturally sound reflective rather than performative.

3. Use the "Resume & Identity" Test
Ask yourself: Could any other student who took this class / won this award / held this position write this exact essay?

If the answer is yes, dig deeper into your idiosyncratic thoughts, quirky habits, or personal philosophy. If you dropped your essay on the hallway floor without your name on it, your best friend should immediately know it's yours.

4. Write in Your Natural Spoken Voice
Don't fall into "thesaurus mode" or adopt an overly formal academic tone using AI. Keep it natural. The person who's studying your application should feel about you.

A great check is to read the essay out loud to a friend or mentor. If you stumble or feel awkward saying a sentence out loud, simplify the phrasing until it sounds like an honest, articulate conversation.
0