Skip to main content
2 answers
4
Asked 96 views

Do colleges care about freshman grades?

I recently received a poor score on a quiz that will more likely bring my grade average down in the class. I currently have a 98 for the 1st grading period and its in an ap class so the grade will increase with the weight. For the next grading period, however, I currently have a 73 because the quiz I just took is the only grade I have in the class. I do expect my grade to move up but I don ´ t think it will be good enough when compared with others when I apply for colleges. Does this grade actually matter? Will my chances of getting into a decent college falter if I have a grade average of a 90 in an ap class? I would really appreciate any advice on this topic. Thank you!


4

1 answer


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Douglas’s Answer

Hi Anna!

No, I honestly wouldn't stress about this at all. I've worked in college admissions for the past 4 years and one thing I've learned is that colleges look at your application as a whole. One bad quiz or even one bad grade on your transcript means so little in the grand scheme of things. Colleges are looking at way more than just your grades. Your extracurriculars, your essays, your leadership/involvement, etc. all play a big role in the admissions process.

Everyone gets a bad grade at some point, it's completely normal. And honestly, if you have one bad grade but then keep your overall grades high and its just a one time thing, I would argue that even shows something positive about you. It shows that you were able to learn from a mistake, adapt, and improve. Colleges like seeing that kind of growth.

Also, a 90 in an AP class is still a good grade, especially considering you're taking a college level course. I think you're putting way too much pressure on yourself over one quiz. Keep working hard, stay involved in things outside of school, and put some solid effort into your essays when the time comes. I promise one bad quiz isn't going to ruin your chances of getting into a good college!
0