Skip to main content
1 answer
1
Asked 122 views

How do I start getting clinical hours and shadowing experiences?

I am a sophomore Biology major at UNCW on the pre-med track. I want to go to medical school and eventually become a neurologist. I am stumped at the moment because I don't really know where to start. I want to start building my resume/CV soon because I want to do as much as I can to be a strong applicant for med school. I also don't really know what else I need to do to gain experience because, at the moment, I don't really have any certifications besides CPR, and I am busy with school, so I am not really sure if I will be able to get certified in anything right now.


1

1 answer


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Suzanne’s Answer

Ella, you are asking the right questions and it can be challenging to become a strong candidate for medical school. But it is by no means impossible.
Being focused during the school year on your academics is important and kudos to you for doing so. A few additional suggestions:

Check in now with the pre-med advisors and any pre-med clubs or organizations at your university to see what opportunities on and off-campus are already set up. Perhaps there are existing pipelines for gaining shadowing and/or volunteering experiences.

Check with the volunteer office at your local hospital near college or near your hometown. Many are set up to accommodate college and pre-healthcare students. Once you are in a hospital you will have the chance to meet healthcare workers and start to network and look into shadowing possibilities.

If you are able to, look into Alternative Spring Break programs which would put you in either clinical settings and/or other settings working with populations in need of help.

Plan now for next summer. Can you connect with a professor who needs research help ? Since you're interested in neurology can you volunteer or be employed by an organization which works with people who have a neurological condition? You may be able to become certified as a CNA (certified nursing assistant) over the summer and then work in memory care or other settings in the future (school vacations, post-grad "gap year").
Or there may be summer camps or other programs for adults or kids with neurological issues. Look around and explore. Even if it is not an exact fit, every connection can offer something which you can learn from.

Suzanne recommends the following next steps:

Browse the AAMC.org website for lots of practical advice for premeds. Here's their link for shadowing opportunities: https://students-residents.aamc.org/aspiring-docs-fact-sheets-get-experience/shadowing-doctor
Write back with more questions as they occur to you. Best wishes on an exciting, rewarding journey!
0