Which career in the medical field is right for me?

Asked Madelia, Minnesota

I know I want to be in the medical field, but I can't decide which exact job I want to pursue. I thought about being a nurse, but I am shy and have anxiety; I don't think a job where I interact with lots of people all day is the best job for me. My mom suggested a lab tech, but I am not so sure about that one, either.
Are there any good jobs for introverts like me? I have tried, but so far I've been unsuccessful in finding a good career in the medical field. #medicine #doctor #medical #healthcare #job

Toni’s Answer

Updated Walnut Creek, California

Hello Ian! I think the first step is determining what you actually like to do, the medical field is so broad, if you like more of the information side, where you really do not interact with patients, I would consider HIM, which is health information management. But I feel if you pick something you really like then your anxiety will subside. Maybe pharmacy tech? Pulling meds for patients and checking with insurances. Everything that is hands on obviously requires you to interact with people, so try the information side (HIM, billing/coding, etc...) Good luck!

Les’s Answer

Updated Chicago, Illinois

Hi Ian -

If you want to go to college, you can major in biomedical engineering. This kind of engineer focuses on products and services for the health community. Many students major in biomedical engineering, or bioengineering before applying to medical school.

If you don't want to do engineering, nursing is an option and though this is work with people as you get older you will learn to deal with your anxiety, I also am anxious in working with people. There are many careers in nursing some deal much less with people than others. There is also an option to be a radiologist technician, this helps in taking MRI and X ray images and manage those images etc. You can start working in that field with a 2 year degree.

Hope this Helps!

Les