Great question! There are many types of new technology that will be more widespread in the future.
- Artificial Intelligence - AI models are becoming more prevalent in society today and are in early stages. In the near future, more and more tech will use AI.
- Blockchain - Blockchain is also in its nascent stages and has many applications. Blockchain can be used to create contracts of all types, like described by the user above.
- Internet of things - even the most commonplace items that currently don't involve technology may involve it in the future. (ex. smart fridges) This will become more common.
- Privacy and security tech - since tech is growing and people are providing more data, the privacy and security technology industries will grow as well.
Fatima recommends the following next steps:
- Learn about these technologies by reading articles and determine which one interests you (or find another one that does).
- Attend conferences and talk to other professionals working on these issues. You can find these by looking for meetups and other events in your city. If they are very expensive, ask the organizer if students can attend for free or if there is a discount or scholarship available. Sometimes there are panels on these in bigger tech conferences, other times they're called "Future of.. [work/tech/etc.]" conferences.
- Like Michele said, you should think of a reason why it would benefit your community, whether as a student or otherwise. Then, you should blog about the application of the concept to you (via Medium or other channel) and tweet about it.
- Engage with others working on similar issues via Twitter/social media.