what are some advantages of being a aerospace engineer

good things about it #aerospace-engineering

Catherine’s Answer

Aerospace covers so many areas and a huge number of applications. Studying aerospace gives you an good level of detail in aerodynamics, mechanics, math, materials science, systems, software, fluid dynamics etc etc. Once you've studied these areas you have a great understanding to decide if you want to specialize in a specific area, or use your knowledge in a more general role.

My <span style="color: rgb(93, 103, 106);">11 year career in the Air Force</span> has focussed more on engineering management. This has allowed me to problem solve and bring people together across the specializations for aircraft maintenance operations and lead my team towards the bigger picture.

In addition to this, one of my particular roles specialized in propulsion projects to manage the safety, capability and reliability of a fleet of 300 jet engines. As you can see from the two examples, a big advantage for me is variation from role to role. The experience I have gained is very diverse which keeps me motivated and has allowed me to adapt my skillset in a huge range of environments, providing a great platform of experience to build on.

From a motivation perspective, it's a very exciting industry to be part of. To see the outcome of your work take flight is very special.