I used to be a Kindergarten through 8th grade Art Teacher but started out as a teaching assistant in grades Kindergarten through 5th!
A few pieces of advice while studying to become an educator -
- Identify age groups you'd like to work with and/or the subject you'd like to teach.
- Get as much experience outside of your studies working in the classroom. Find schools in your area that you could volunteer in. Volunteer in K-5 classrooms, 6-8 classrooms and high school. This could help narrow your focus on the grade level or subject you'd like to teach.
- Ask your education professors if there are volunteer teaching programs they partner with - there could be an opportunity to teach abroad as part of a summer/fall internship.
- Become a tutor - this will give you 1:1 experience and could help develop your teaching style.
- Don't be afraid to tap into your network - friends, family or your professors may have connections at schools and could help you get into one to volunteer.
- Spend time with other educators and teachers - observe them teaching and don't be afraid to ask questions!
Best of luck to you!