If my strengths are leadership and independence and hobbies are shopping and cheer, what types of careers or industries might best fit me ?

Asked Lakeland, Florida

Stephanie’s Answer

Updated Columbus, Ohio

Dear Daisha,

You may be suited for many types of careers. In your question you mention several things which are important to know on your job search. First, you mention a leadership strength. That is important in EVERY career and every position within the job. Leadership is also an ongoing learning experience. Second, you already know that you like to shop and you like to cheer. If those two items motivate you, then you could opt to work in any number of Hospitality Services Firms and/or Open your own business where you could teach cheer. Business Ownership is Independence! What about performing Arts? As a cheerleader, you have an opportunity to entertain others. Is there a chance you want to work in television, movies, or even a Youtube channel?

There are so many ways you can optimize the few details you provided in your question, therefore, the best advice I can give you is to choose a career/industry that you connect with. If you follow what moves you, I believe the best career choice will reveal itself.

Taylor’s Answer

Updated Raleigh, North Carolina

Hi Daisha,

If you love shopping, assuming for clothes, a great career path you can pursue is a textile degree. I graduated from North Carolina State University with a Textile Technology degree and NC State has one of the top textile programs in the world with a lot of options within the college such as Fashion and Textile Management, Fashion and Textile Design, Textile Technology, Textile Engineering and many more. Depending on the path you plan to take within the college you could end up becoming a designer, someone who tests fabrics for quality, and many more. The professors are amazing and have all worked in the field they are teaching which makes them very qualified. Hope this advice helps you!

Karen’s Answer

Updated Apex, North Carolina

As an Administrative Assistant, I find my work spans every industry and allows me alot of flexibility and opportunities to learn about many roles and fields.

Leadership is an important skill in this role, as there will be times that you will need to take ownership of situations or manage when things don't go according to plan.

I find myself cheering and encouraging others in my organization as well as my leaders whom I support. I think your skills of leading and cheering are big pluses. A role as an administrative assistant can be your foot in the door and lead to other roles such as program manager, project specialist, customer relationship manager, etc.

Karen recommends the following next steps:

• Learning time management, project management and how to influence without authority are great skills to have.
  • Find and connect with professional networking groups in your area or online at LinkedIn

Margaret’s Answer

You may want to consider Human Relations, or something in design/ fashion. This would allow you to use your strengths as well as be a part in something the interests you.

Margaret recommends the following next steps:

• take some courses centered around these careers