What specific skills do you need to become a police officer?

Asked Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I am a high school student and I want to now more about the career I want to do #criminal-law

Phillip’s Answer

Updated Douglasville, Georgia

All departments establish and maintain their own police academy requirements and qualifications; so interested candidates are advised to consult department-specific resources for qualification standards and disqualifying factors. This list represents the general requirements and disqualifiers for police academy eligibility, although it is not an exhaustive list and is not representative of qualifications maintained by all police departments:

At least 21 years at the time of police academy graduation No misdemeanor convictions within the three years prior to applying Valid driver’s license United States citizenship No felony convictions No DWI convictions in the five years prior to applying No domestic violence convictions High school diploma