I would like to know a little about this

Asked Abidjan, Lagunes Region, Côte d'Ivoire

As I told I am a student and I like teaching , help others in the need such as it is doing in volonteer organisation #student

Astou’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hi Rodolphe! I hope all is well! I liked your question because like you, I love the idea of volunteering and helping those in need. I have been volunteering while I was in High School, throughout college and now while I am working.

I think the most important thing is to identify what area/field you would like to volunteer in. When you are genuinely interested in something or enjoy doing an activity, it becomes much easier to commit to it and excel at it. Since you like teaching, maybe you would be interested in tutoring students in a subject that you like (maybe art, math or science). For example, when I was in college, I was interested in helping people that needed financial literacy. I joined a non-profit organization called WEDI that was dedicated to helping people in that area. Since I was majoring in Accounting and taking some Finance classes, it also helped me to be a better volunteer and answer questions that people in need might have had for me.

The second most important thing in my opinion is to figure out how much time you are willing to dedicate to volunteering. Because it is an activity that sometimes requires a lot of energy, you have to make sure that you have enough time to commit to it. If you don't put time aside for it, it can become challenging to help even though you want to. For example, now that I am working as an auditor, I don't have as much time as I used to when I was in high school or college so I have to make sure that I coordinate my time in a way that when I am volunteering, I can fully be available to the people that need me. It allows me to be better prepared and provide better services.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions, I will be happy to answer them!

Astou recommends the following next steps:

• Identify what area/field you would like to volunteer in
  • Figure out how much time you are willing to dedicate to volunteering
thank you so much Mse Astou for your precious help toward those who need it
Anytime! You are welcome!