Can I aspire to get a Bachelor's degree if I suffer from depression and schizophrenia?

Right now I feel really discouraged and crying in the middle of my class. #college #career

Maren’s Answer

Mental illness can be very difficult to navigate when going through your undergrad career. As someone with bipolar II, anxiety, and boughts of treatment resistant depression, with a Bachelor's degree, I have full confidence that you can achieve your goal. No, it may not be easy, but it's certainly more than possible. The important thing is having the right methods to managing your mental health so that you can combat or mitigate the symptoms.

Take care of yourself! One of the most important parts of managing mental illness is getting sufficient sleep. We all know sleep can be harder to come by when in school, but I cannot stress enough how crucial it is that you stay well rested, as being tired can exacerbate your symptoms. Additionally, do things you enjoy in between classes. If you enjoy being outside, get some fresh air and do some meditations. If you enjoy working out, I cannot recommend it enough as it radically impacts your mental health. Essentially, do things that make you happy and keep you grounded in the midst of the stress.

Therapy can be very important. Especially with how busy school is, it can be very helpful to have an hour or so to look forward to on a consistent basis that allows you to talk through your struggles and develop coping strategies. Some universities even offer counseling onsite, as mental health continues to become a greater focus.

Again, it won't necessarily be easy, but I know that it's definitely possible, and I highly encourage you to not give up. Stay focused on the reason you're pursuing your degree and less on the obstacles. Keep yourself healthy, rested, and do things for yourself, and you can achieve this goal! I believe in you!

Ella’s Answer

Of course you can! Colleges will always be there to help you achieve your goals. Most colleges have a disability resource center whose main purpose is to provide support for people that need it. I'm not saying it will be easy, but you can 100% achieve it!

Ella recommends the following next steps:

• Research colleges and their support systems
  • Potentially talk to a doctor about your options for managing your symptoms in college

Pamela’s Answer

Hi Arely!

Always remember that you can do anything you set your mind to. Mental illness is something that is a part of your life but it does not define who you are.  Personally, I have depression, anxiety, and bi polar disorder and I have an associates degree in Psychology and I am 3 semesters from completing my Bachelor's degree in Law. While it may be harder, it is absolutely possible and it will be worth it in the end.

Remember to take care of yourself, take your medicine, and do all the self-care things that you would normally do. Take time for you and keep yourself healthy! Also, one thing that helped me out SO much, was having a support system who was willing and able to cheer me on when I found it hard to do so myself.

I wish you the best of luck and all the success in the world!

Keri’s Answer

Yes, you most certainly can. Having gone through difficult situations myself, the best thing I think you could do is finding something you are passionate about and gets you excited. Always think about the best thing that will come out of the dedication and hard work, and don't forget to see the positive no matter how many negative things there are around you. Best of luck!

Murali’s Answer

Hi Dear, It all depends on how we think, definitely you can aspire and achieve. “If you can you can”, remember this always. All the very best

Thank you for the support!

Pamela’s Answer

Hi Arely!

Always remember that you can do anything you set your mind to.  Mental illness is something that is a part of your life but it does not define who you are.   Personally, I have depression, anxiety, and bi polar disorder and I have an associates degree in Psychology and I am 3 semesters from completing my Bachelor's degree in Law.  While it may be harder, it is absolutely possible and it will be worth it in the end.

Remember to take care of yourself, take your medicine, and do all the self-care things that you would normally do.  Take time for you and keep yourself healthy!  Also, one thing that helped me out SO much, was having a support system who was willing and able to cheer me on when I found it hard to do so myself.

Julian’s Answer

Hi Arely! Yes, you can absolutely get a bachelors degree! You can do anything you want! You just have to believe and then you can achieve!