How did you decide you wanted to become a dentist (pediatric dentist, or orthodontist)?

6

Miguel’s Answer

Hello Tina,

As a Pre-Medical Student, I recommend you to do several volunteer opportunities, internships or joined dentistry clubs in your university or high school. By doing this, you will find out if Dentistry is right for you or not. You can easily ask any of the local dentist in your area for a shadowing position and they will gladly invite you to come into their dental office so you can learn from them. Most Dental Schools look a lot of shadowing because this specific extracurricular activity determines whether it is the right career for you.

0

Diana’s Answer

My interest for the field came about when I observed my mom's X-ray as the dentist explained the work she needed to have completed. My passion for the field came from my love for art. Dentistry, for me, is an art in itself. My curiosity merged with my passion and I couldn't be happier with the path I chose. As I also struggled with my smile growing up, I realized that there are many who are going through the same insecurities. A nice smile makes you feel confident. Not only do I want to fix teeth, but I hope to also fix those feeling broken by their insecurities. Putting a smile on peoples faces is something I hope to fill my days with in the future. I am most interested in Orthodontics. It's amazing the transformations that can happen and how life changing they are. Having gone through Orthodontic treatment myself, I saw the change happen before my eyes and it truly boosted my confidence! You have to feel a special connection when entering a specific field and if you can see yourself loving dentistry, you should definitely pursue it. If you are unsure, definitely shadow some dentists near you and see how you feel about it! Explore the fields before making a set decision!

0

Vee’s Answer

For any career you choose, you should reflect on your personal strengths and goals. Can you use your strengths in the career. You should then try and expose yourself to those careers that you believe you aspire. To understand you want to be a dentist, volunteer your time at a dentist clinic. Interview a few dentists. Understand what skills, education and challenges associated with the profession. Then ask yourself if those match with what you have, can and want to.

0

Donna’s Answer

I spent a week observing in a hospital emergency room. After that, I realized the work life balance was not favorable. My mother was a dental assistant and was able to get me a job in the front office of the dentist. He convinced me to apply to dental school since it would allow me to care for people but provided more autonomy.

0