Is accounting hard to learn?

5

Bill’s Answer

When I first attended college, my desire was to graduate with an accounting degree. As I got further along in the 3rd and 4th year classes, I realized that accounting was not for me. It's something that you've got to have a high level of attention to detail in especially when you are working to make financial statements balance. It was this process that I found to not excite me and as a result I changed my major to finance. I felt a degree in finance wasn't as detail oriented as accounting was and opened more doors for me that being an accountant did. Between the two majors, I would definitely say that accounting is the harder of the two.

Be aware that the later 2nd year and begin 3rd year courses are very tough as they are the weed out courses and the intent is to get rid of those students who don't have the wherewithal to put in the time studying to be successful in the program. Once you get past those, I can't say it's easier, but the professors have a respect for you as you survived the weed out process.

Hope this helps and best of luck on your future endeavors.

Bill

0

Craig’s Answer

Accounting is not hard but does take a good comprehension of numbers, math, dollars, and cents. If you like math, you will enjoy accounting. In addition, understanding accounting can lead to so many different fields such as financial, sales project management, and procurement. Not to mention the value it can add to your personal life for managing personal finances. Understanding the numbers and financials can be a key attribute to being successful in so many different fields.

Furthermore, if you really enjoy accounting, you will want to get your Certification for a Public Accountant (CPA). That is a goal you should certainly set as career opportunities can be endless for CPAs.

0

Maciej’s Answer

As someone currently in college in the school of business I am required to take managerial and financial accounting. While I wouldn't describe them as hard courses there are folks that struggle with understanding and connecting the dots between the material. It definitely helps if you come from an analytical background and enjoy looking at details and keeping everything in mind when looking at a problem.

I generally enjoyed those classes but I knew that it wasn't sometime that I wanted to proceed with. As the previous answers mention it's something that you've got to have a high level of attention to detail. If you have a passion for it and you enjoy the work that comes with it I believe you will succeed with accounting in the future

0

Nika’s Answer

Like already stated on this thread, accounting isn't difficult per se, but definitely requires an interest in quantitative discipline. Developed by accountants and academics, accounting principles are purely man-made and require an understanding of different concepts. Personally, I have a strong quantitative background, so it came a bit more naturally to me (took me a few months to completely grasp the more difficult concepts). However, for my friend who majored in political science, the concepts seemed outlandish and bizarre. He dropped the class within 2.5 weeks. Essentially, as with everything else, your mileage will vary.

0