What can you build off a Pharmacy Technician certification?

4
Pros
3
0
Students
1
0

Palak’s Answer

Hi,

This is a great question. In summary, being certified makes you more competitive for landing a position. The wonderful aspect of being a pharmacy technician is the variety of avenues you may take. You can work in retail (e.g., CVS), hospital, nuclear medicine, insurance company, or even the government!

I have found a resourceful article that I think you may like: https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contributor/timothy-o-shea/2015/07/career-opportunities-for-pharmacy-technicians

Best of Luck
1
Students
1
0

Olivia’s Answer

Hello,

I am a current pharmacy student in Indiana. I have been a pharmacy technician for several years and now I am a pharmacy intern since I am in school. I is a good idea to become a certified pharmacy technician because pharmacies will be more eager to employ you. You have to take a certification exam. In order to sit for the certification exam you have to either take a training program or have at least 500 hours of work experience. The exam does cost $129 so you will want to prep for the exam before you take it. You can re-take the exam in 60 days if you fail the exam. Being a certified pharmacy technician will open the door to many other job opportunities. Technicians can work in hospitals, retail pharmacies, compounding pharmacies, long-term care pharmacies, and so much more!

Here is a link for more information about the certification process!
https://www.ptcb.org/credentials/certified-pharmacy-technician

I hope this helps,
Olivia
0

Dinah’s Answer

I am currently a second year pharmacy student in Indiana as well. I got nationally certified in Illinois where I am from and I became an intern in August of 2020. I think it is a very good idea to get nationally certified because employers will be more eager to hire someone that is already certified compared to someone that still has to. You can only be a pharmacy technician for 2 years before having to take the PTCE. This exam really shows your employer that you have the knowledge and skills, which is needed to pass the exam. Being nationally certified can really open up other job opportunities and you can also take other exams through PTCB for like sterile compounding and so much more. I hope this helps and best of luck!
0