what’s the process to becoming a homocide detective?

I’m looking into becoming a homocide detective but i’m really lost and not sure where and how to start.I’m currently in my senior year and i want to start preparing.
#givingiscaring #homocidedetective #criminaljustice

2

J.’s Answer

Hi Jenny,

To become any type of detective, you have to be a police officer first. I would recommend going to your local precinct and requesting to do a ride along with a police officer to see if this is a field that you would be interested in. You can bring your questions and ask what skills you would need and how you could best become a homicide detective. Even if the officer does not have an answer, they could put you in touch with one that does. (Plus, this is a great networking opportunity if you decide to go into the field.) If this does become a field that you want to go into, the hiring process is strenuous. You have to pass various items - physical, psychological, background, oral board, etc. It is different for each department. The background investigation is tough and they will contact people that you met years ago to assess your candidacy.

0

Hi Jenny,

"Detective" is a promotion from the regular police officer position. So, to become a homicide detective, you would first become a police officer! I highly recommend you join the police explorers! https://www.cityoflewisville.com/about-us/city-departments/police-department/become-involved-with-lpd/explorer-post

Also, get good grades, stay out of trouble, treat everybody with respect, even ex-boyfriends! The background investigation is very thorough!
And, get in really good physical condition. This includes cardio, strength, and flexibility. Each police department has its own standards.

0