How do you start having good study habits?

... I'm addicted to YouTube and Social Media. That's why I want to kinda get my life together, you know? social-media general media networking

-Thanks for all your suggestions

20

Hi Cynthia,

Two of the first things you need to figure out are:
(1) when is your brain most awake? It does no good to study at the end of the day, right before bedtime, for most people! It might be that you are an early-riser and can study in the morning before school! But knowing this will let you do the most amount of studying in the shortest amount of time, so you can get back to doing what you enjoy!
(2) HOW do you learn? If you read a chapter and don't recall what you read, you need to find a way to make it "stick." It might mean doing the review sections provided by the publisher. It might mean writing the vocabulary words and definitions. I like the flashcard idea mentioned by someone else. It could be that you are a creative person and need to create a short story to tie it all together. There are lots of possibilities here. We don't all learn by the same methods!

Secondly, don't rule out the computer as a learning tool. I was having problems with a college class. I wasn't understanding one of the main ideas they were trying to teach. The textbook and professor's lecture still left me confused. So, yes, I Googled it. I found a presentation on-line that cleared it all up. I think the fact that they made a video really helped. I remember in my younger years I remembered more from textbooks that had pictures, because I was able to tie the idea to what I had seen. So, if you are struggling with something, try to find alternative presentations of that subject matter on-line.

Finally, as to being addicted to social media at such a young age. Self-discipline is important. That is, you want something, but you know you shouldn't have it. It's really hard to master. But, it applies to eating healthy, managing money, and other aspects of your life. I'm still trying! But, I also want you to be mindful of your emotional health. So much of what is out there isn't true, there's cyber-bullying, and other mean things that happen on-line. As much as it seems like you need to be connected all the time, please take time to un-plug, go outdoors, get some fresh air, watch nature, and clear your mind. Please!! A healthy mental status will help with your learning, as will a well-oxygenated brain.

Kim
2

Sarah’s Answer

To develop great study habits, you must first create a routine, then stick to it. I've used a method called "time-blocking" to set aside specific blocks of time for studying or working on projects. During this time, only focus on the task at hand, if it's studying for a test, you'll study during this time. If the time is for completing homework, you'll do homework during that time. It's important to also make sure you include time for breaks too. This helps you take a moment (5 minutes or so), to relax, check your email, grab a bite to eat or take a short walk. Once the short break is over, you'll return to studying. My recommendation is to study for 1 hour, then take a 5-minute break and repeat. This helps you maintain focus on studying and helps you eliminate being distracted.

Set a specific goal for each study session. Know what you need to gain out of the material. Always review your notes and other supporting materials too.

In addition, when you study, turn off the television, turn off social media notifications or anything else that may be a distraction. Don't forget to schedule your breaks. The breaks will give you scheduled time to look at these things, then allow you to get back to work.

thanks for your answer! Cynthia M.

2

Krasti’s Answer

Hi Cynthia,
This is a great question. Social media can be very addicting and will definitely consume a lot of your time which can be a big waste of your time. My suggestion is to keep a realistic schedule of when you will study and for how long and follow that schedule as much as possible. The next step is to eliminate distractions from your phone. Luckily, your phone has a lot of productivity apps that can help remove these distractions. You can set it on Do Not Disturb or leverage one of the productivity apps. Also, a lot of the social media apps these days have a tracker feature so you can set a max limit of how many minutes/hours you want to spend on that app. Once you exceed that amount, a notification will pop up alerting you that you have reached the max minutes. It is just a good reminder to not spend your entire time on your phone. In addition, lucky for you, Youtube is also a useful resource to help you learn. So if you are a visual learner, you can actual search topics to learn or even get recommendations on how other people are forming study habits. Hope you study well and good luck!

thank you for your suggestion! Cynthia M.

0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Cynthia! First it is very important to keep schoolwork and social media apart because it can definitely be a distraction. I would recommend to limit your time online, there are reminders for apps that you can put that let you know when your time is up using social media. For YouTube it may be more difficult but it really is practicing restraint. After a while you start to get use to not using social media and the internet as much. In addition to limiting use on social media. I would recommend to have a planner nearby so you can write down your assignments and know what to do each day. It's important to make sure to space schoolwork out so that way it can be easier to manage. If you have an exam/quiz coming up study beforehand and go over topics that you feel unsure in. If you have difficulty in a subject definitely reach out to your teachers because they are the biggest help in this area! Also everyone's study habits are different, some like to read and take notes (like me), others like to do notecards, study pictures, explain things, or a combination of things; test a couple of techniques out and see what works for you! In class however definitely be sure to take notes and be an active student as well, the more engaged you are the more easy it will be to take in what you learn!

I hope this helps!

thanks for sharing your answer! :D Cynthia M.

You're welcome! Yasemin G.

0

Sunny’s Answer

Hi Cynthia,

I enjoy watching Youtube videos as well, so I totally get what you mean. I think it might be helpful to separate your schedule between studying and resting. For example, from 9am to 4pm, focus on taking classes and getting your homework done. After 4pm, you can watch the videos that you like or interact with friends on social media. Try this for one week and see if this works for you. The key here is that you continue doing this everyday except for the weekends.

Another tip to have good studying habits is to get your homework/studying done before taking a rest. If you still have homework to do, you would not be able to have more fun since you might feel pressure from the assignment that you did not finish. So I always recommend to complete your to-do-list for your school work and then enjoy your free time.

I hope this helps!

thanks for your advice!! Cynthia M.

0

Adam’s Answer

Hi Cynthia!

I found that the best way to develop good study habits is to create a schedule. Only by structuring your time can you make sure you achieve everything that you are trying to do. Now, when I was growing up, there was no YouTube or social media. My recommendation to you is to carve out some time that you will dedicate totally to studying. Instead of watching YouTube for an hour, you can spend that time studying. Set a goal of what you would like to accomplish in your study session and then once you complete this goal, you can watch a set amount of time for YouTube or other social media. For example, if you have math homework of 10 problems, set your goal to complete those math problems and then at the end, you can watch a YouTube video. As school and homework are very important right now, make sure that you schedule enough time to get ALL of your home work done. Make sure to spend the appropriate amount of time on the assignments and don't rush through just to get to the social media. Social media is going to be there when you are done. You want to make sure that your homework is correctly done before you can enjoy it.

Hope this helps and happy studying!
0

sari’s Answer

Hy Chintya,
We had the same problems yet I found the way to solve it.
First try to do a to-do list everyday, it will help you so much on doing the tasks. You still can watch YouTube but just after finishing your important tasks.
Second, be with someone who are diligent, that will encourage you so much to study.
Thirdly, make a target for your self, you can only play with your phone after studying 20 minutes for example. Then you will have your phone phone for 10 minutes and so on. I hope it will help you.

thank you for telling me that! I will try your tip :) Cynthia M.

0

Samantha’s Answer

The way I used to study was I would turn everything off except my google home. I would have it play classical music or soothing music. I would get a snack and a drink and crack the books open. Notes really helped me as well to remember stuff that I needed in the future.
0

Yasemin’s Answer

I hope this helps!

thank you for this!!!! Cynthia M.

You're welcome! Yasemin G.

0

Christina (Tina)’s Answer

This is a great question! I have 2 children, a daughter a Sophomore in College and a son a Sophomore in High School. My advice to them is to make social media a reward to yourself. After you study an hour, reward yourself by having 10 minutes of YouTube time and then alternate back to studying for another hour, then 10 minutes of something else. Also, get into a habit of making studying/homework the first thing you do when your school day ends. I found that my kids had a harder time refocusing after Social Media if they put homework off until later in the evening.
One more suggestion is to try using a Calm or Headspace meditation medium to refocus if you get bored or distracted instead of Social Media. They have a ton of free options. This has helped my son tremendously to calm his overactive mind. You can have fun and form good study habits!
0

Jason’s Answer

Try setting aside your day into blocks. When you get back from school, you give yourself 2 hours of free time for anything (social media, watching TV/videos/etc). Then you put down your phone, keep it in a draw or something, and then 2 hours of studying/homework/etc. Then you're probably going to eat dinner, and finish up whatever you need to do. No social media or entertainment unless you've finished with homework and have studied and are confident enough that you can be quizzed on the material. Once you set a consistent schedule, it becomes a habit that you don't have to enforce anymore. Soon enough you might just knock out all your studying when you get back from school so that you have more time to relax!

great appreciation for your answer :) Cynthia M.

0

Jennifer’s Answer

Hi! First of all, it's important to figure out what kind of things help you study better whether that be rewriting things, making flashcards, etc. Track everything that you do and just try to make an agenda for yourself. This will get you in the habit of doing things in order once you get older.

thank youu ❤ Cynthia M.

0

Harlie’s Answer

Hi! Like others said, routine is so important. My advice for your phone is this...THROW IT IN ANOTHER ROOM. I have the same problem, so physically removing your phone from your reach will help significantly. Maybe if possible, go somewhere that has less distractions. Sitting outside is a great way to really focus.
0

Mithu’s Answer

This is a great start as a 5th grader you realize what your weaknesses are:
I would set aside dedicated space for using your phone, avoid having it next to bed or on your study table.
Take breaks every hour to stretch you muscles.
Write down all the tasks you have to do and once you are done strike it off.

okay! ty :)) Cynthia M.

0

Sarah’s Answer

Hi Cynthia,

I would set designated study and online times. Have a set time (5-10 minutes) every hour or so when you can have a break and go on social media. Then you can monitor your social media use and get plenty of studying time as well.

I would also set your phone in another room or on silent so you don't have that distraction right in front of you while you study. Maybe enlist the help of your parents or siblings to let you know when it's time for a break and when to get back to studying.

Hope this strategy helps you!

great tip! thanks \(^▽^)/ Cynthia M.

0

Amber’s Answer

Hi Cynthia,

It is refreshing to see someone so young acknowledge the amount of time we spend on social media, and wanting to be proactive to keep education as a higher priority, so kudos to you!
Something I recommend is looking into Apps that help with productivity (I suggest Forest App https://www.forestapp.cc/) as it will help you set a goal, track your habits, and even give back to the environment through planting a real tree on your behalf once you have grown a virtual tree to completion.
Additionally, consider putting your phone or computer on airplane mode, or disconnecting from wifi, to make it easier to avoid temptation.

thank you :D Cynthia M.

0

Rebecca’s Answer

You can try to put down a time table for yourself, for example, what time for you to attend school, time to finish the homework, etc. You have also to put down the time to do some exercise. You have to limit your time spending on youtube and social media.

But, the most important is you follow this timetable you build.

Hope this helps!

will take this advice into mind!! thank you so much ^^ Cynthia M.

0

Blake’s Answer

Hey Cynthia,

I would recommend setting up certain times to study where you have no other distractions (social media, television, etc.). If that is difficult for you at first, I would recommend starting in small increments (maybe 15 minutes) and go from there. Once you begin to see the benefit it will get easier to set aside larger blocks of time.

Thanks,
Blake
0

Divya’s Answer

Hi Cynthia! There is so much information at our fingertips these days that it definitely takes some work to stay away from social media! Kudos for trying to keep the distraction down.

Screen time is a synthetic source of the happy Harmone, Dopamine hence the addiction. The best way to counter the addition is to find natural ways for the body to release the same harmone. Any physical activity like a run, walk or jog or any sport you enjoy will have the same effect but is healthier. Set aside some time for outdoor time as a habit and see the addiction dissolve. Start small for a week about 15 mins daily and you will definitely start to see the difference.

Divya recommends the following next steps:

15 mins of outdoor time
0

Apurva’s Answer

I would start small at first

Set a time for 15 mins - study something, Stop, take a break, do it again for 15 mins - over the course of a few days increase the timer to 30/60 mins so that you give yourself small amounts of time where you focus in and study.

Give yourself a break in between to have fun and relax but I would try to set aside time daily without any distractions and just read or study over time you will see that you have built a foundation of good study habits.
0

Karen’s Answer

My son is in 6th grade, and is a good student. He suggests that you develop a routine, and whenever you have homework or an important quiz or test, write it down, and don't put studying off until the last minute. If you have a relative or family member who is good in a particular subject, ask if they can help you study. Try to be engaged in class, and save the YouTube for after school.

alright thanks so much! tell your son that I thank him for this great advice <3 Cynthia M.

0

Hi Cynthia,

Kim
0