Asked Viewed 142 times Translated from Italian .

How high should be the level of a language to be valuable in a Resume?

I've been studing german for the past 3 years, I think I may be at a B1 level Do you think it would be a valuable skill to put in my Resume.
second-language career

4

Sanober’s Answer

Hi Mattia!

I definitely think that adding a language skill to your resume, regardless of how fluently you can speak it, is going to be great for employers to see. It shows that it is something you have been working on and practicing in your free time, which can lead to growth and advancement in any opportunity. Most people do not speak multiple languages, so you will stand out with this on your resume.

I hope this helps :)

Sanober

Thank you I appreciate your answer Mattia Alessandro C.

0

Brayden’s Answer

Hello Mattia, I think adding a language to a resume is a huge leg up when comparing yourself against other candidates. Regardless of the language being able to speak more than one just shows that you were willing to take the time to learn something brand new thats difficult, and that in of itself is huge for employers. The biggest thing is to be honest with your abilities. A lot of time people might think they are fluent but then get put into a situation where they aren't and it shows. Especially something like language where you either know it or you don't do its important to be honest with yourself regarding that. Depending on where you are looking to apply (hospital, restaurant, construction etc.) many jobs require you to speak with people so when an employer is comparing you vs another candidate you will stand out because you can potentially be used as a translator role.
0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Mattia! I think you should put it! As long as you are honest about the level of fluency (which you are) it shouldn't be a problem. Also even though you are still learning and may not carry full extent conversations, having some knowledge and using German to some extent will definitely help you! Who knows? You may come across a coworker or business partner who speaks German and having that knowledge can definitely strengthen your relationship. As a volunteer in the ER, I also used some Spanish with my patients and seeing that communication goes a long way even if you aren't native!

You're welcome! Yasemin G.

0

Daniel’s Answer

Hey Mattia! Yes, you should definitely put it your resume. You just got to be straight forward with where you are at with your German. Knowing another language sometimes gives you the leg up when applying for certain jobs!

0