what's a good route to take to in order to one day be able to work for a big tech company?

I am 18 y/o, im currently trying to figure out what I want to do for a living one day. Ive always been relatively good with tech and so I feel being some type of tech engineer is a good route for me to take. technology tech engineering

7

Sarah M.’s Answer

I would encourage anyone interested in tech to find ways to expand and demonstrate their curiosity, and desire for learning new things. Tech is fast moving, and as a business or solutions analyst for a big tech company, I work with developers who are now using tools and technologies that didn't exist when they were at school or getting qualified.

Volunteering for tech charities, or offering support to other groups you might work with, such as social clubs for groups that might have a website, or database, or need other tech-y support. Get confidence, and figure out if it's really what drives you.

Learn about the different opportunities in tech - there are many more than coding - and how they work together. Understand agile methodologies, and how teams work together in technology.

Think about joining tech type meetup groups, forums and getting involved in open source projects - these all offer networking and development opportunities, and often ways to demonstrate skills to future employers.
1

Tyrone’s Answer

Technology is a very large field. Is there a particular area in technology that interest you? Do you like to fix or build computers? Are you into programming? Are you into gaming? If you are passionate about any one area, I would suggest you follow it. Once you get started, you'll see how expansive the technology field is and the many career paths you can choose. If you decide to go to college, join clubs and network with other students. Work with your advisor to do internships with companies. Networking and internships will be very beneficial in your journey.
0

Alexandra’s Answer

Hi Ever! I am so glad to hear that you're interested in technology! I am a young woman working in the field of technology. Many technology jobs seek candidates that have strong technical skills. These include Excel, coding languages, Tableau/PowerBI, and other software. I would recommend you learn some of these skills through online resources, such as YouTube videos or Khan Academy, and put them on your resume. To look for technology positions, I would recommend you refer to LinkedIn and Glassdoor. I would recommend you read the job description carefully and ensure that your resume aligns well with the skills they're looking for. Also, the first job you get may likely not be a huge technology company which is okay! Gaining experience from smaller companies is very beneficial for both your personal and career development. Hope this helps!
0

Patricia’s Answer

Hi, In todays world, cyber security is at the top of every company’s priorities. It a highly visible and sought after talent. Cyber security will also enable expsosure to networking and the two go hand in hand. The teens in my life tend to be leaning towards gaming, animation and the creation of APPS.

Technology offers such a wide range of options. If there are youtube videos on some of these topics check it out. Some software companies offer free intro classes to their products and that is another great place to start. Monitoring tools like solarwinds and riverbed used to offer these types of overviews.

Test the waters and see what interests you the most.

Hope this helps
0

Craig’s Answer

A goo d way is to look at all the forums the company has and also to try get an internship and co-op there by contacting the HR department with a cover letter and resume
0

Donna’s Answer

Another good way to learn about the different technology roles at any company you want to work for is to look at their career page. Here, you can learn about the different types of positions they are hiring for and their technologies. You can learn a lot about working for a company like this by spending time on their career page!
0

Jessica’s Answer

I'd suggest researching trends in technology, learning about them, then search companies' web sites for internships that relate to the technology field you are interested in. I also think adding volunteer work to your resume that includes what you've done with technology shows your passion to potential employers.
0