9

I want to become a software engineer but i am confused which field should i go to (science or management) for 11th and 12th.

i am from nepal. so i would prefer to get relatable suggestions.

9

1

Chiranjib’s Answer

Hi, I deleted my earlier answer, as I thought that did not quite address your question.

If you wish to become a software engineer, it is recommended to go for the science stream, with mathematics and preferably computer science as subjects. Spend time on quantitative aptitude, logical reasoning, algorithms, and programming (with any language of your choice). If these basics are strong, you would be able to do well later on.

The ideal career track that students in India follow (and I am guessing its similar in Nepal too) are:
+2 (With science) -> B.Tech (computers or IT) ->
+2 (With science) -> B.Tech (computers or IT) -> M.Tech (computers or IT)
+2 (With science) -> BCA
+2 (With science) -> BCA -> MCA
+2 (With science) -> B.Sc (Computer Sc)
+2 (With science) -> B.Sc (Computer Sc) -> M.Sc (Computer Sc)

Even if you do not take computers as a specialization after +2, as long as you do a bachelor's or master's with a science subject, you can still become a software engineer by doing the many industry certifications available. If you have any follow-up questions please let me know.
1
1

Atul’s Answer

If you want to become software engineer, most companies whether it is Nepal or India or US expects that you have Computer Science or Computer Engineering degree.
This degree will open many paths in many different industries.
I spent most of life in this field and never regretted my decision.
You will make respectable salary and will enjoy what you have accomplished.
Be disciplined and stay focused, you will do well.
1
1

Seetharaman’s Answer

Take computer as Main subject in school, then any degree in computer related if ur intersted in programming else if ur intrested in Mangement side go for business administration
1
0

Seetharaman’s Answer

0
0

ETIENNE’s Answer

Software engineering field is very broad, you can go in from any industry even as a pilot, chemist, you name it and they are people who did just that. So for now you can go with the one you are more interested or drawn to the most, and if I have to chose for you I would say science because you will learn the way of thinking which will be useful in your career.
0
0

Südi’s Answer

In my opinion you should pick science. Most managers in IT are graduated in science and then moved to management by time. So you have better options if you pick computer science.
0
0

Sri’s Answer

The career choice you are looking for will require education background that involves STEM subjects in HS. This will be right time for you to explore and identify your interests. Comp Eng .. see if you are interested in programming (software) or hardware. Based on that you can pick your HS subjects.
0
0

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. I am
glad to hear that you want to be a software engineer.
Usually, the software engineers are graduates of computer science.
You can find out more on the entry requirements of the university in your country.
The subjects of computer science is more closed to the science/mathematics subjects and is under the faculty of engineering or science.
Having said that, I have also seen that some college is put computer studies / science under the school of business.
It is really subject to the college organisation.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
0
0

Hi Bisika! I'd work on the foundations first, so learn the basics through the science route then as your experience grows you can grow into the management side.
0
0

Dan’s Answer

If you want to be a software engineer, you generally have two options:

1) An IT degree (CS - Computer Science) will prepare you for a job with commercial software used in banking, hospitals, government, or sales organizations.

2) A Computer Engineering degree (CE - Computer Engineering) will prepare you for a job with a scientific purpose such as manufacturing, process control, robotics, or automotive.

It is always possible for you to cross over from one degree/industry to another but it's easier to stay within your primary focus. I.e. An IT person who writes robotics control software is possible but not normal. In a way, these degrees are similar. My wife is IT and I am engineering. We can each understand what the other does but neither of us can really do what the other does. So, do you like controlling things (engineering) or do you like to work with money, web design, and databases (CS)?

Both fields require management skills however it is normally better for a manager to first have a solid foundation in the applicable industry and technology. I was an engineer and found that most engineering managers already had a strong engineering background and experience.

I suggest you perform some Google searches to learn more about these two degrees. You can also contact your local college or university and ask to speak with an academic advisor.
0