5
Updated 178 views

What are some challenges people face in the medical field?

I was curious on challenges people face in the medical field so i could prepare myself for whats to come.

5

0

Sara’s Answer

Be prepared to work holidays and weekends when you work in the medical field. If you go in knowing that there are no "off days" in the medical field it will better prepare you. There is also no "off-time" for the medical field. Hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, emergency departments, and mental health facilities never close. Patients will always need care at all hours of the day. Many people enjoy this aspect of the medical field because it gives some flexibility that a M-F, 9-5 job does not allow for.
Thank you comment icon Thanks for the help. michael
0
0

Rajesh’s Answer

It depends on how you define medical field. Each has its own challenges and rewards depending on the work you do. The challenge is different if you are a medical assistant, different levels of nurse, physical therapist, to being a doctor. Even being a doctor the challenges are different if you are in private practice, group practice, academic medicine or administrative medicine. A better question is how can I serve and help with the skills that I have. Next, what limits on myself do I have to place so I have what I would consider good self care and balance to my life. Is the medical field the only place where my skills and values can shine and I can have the life of service I desire.
Thank you comment icon Thank you! michael
0
0

Sloan’s Answer

Let me preface this by saying I am fairly new to the medical field, but I can tell you about some common challenges that I have experienced/witnessed so far. Of course, there will be unique challenges based on the specific career path or specialty you choose but there are some that are fairly common amongst all medical professions. First is burnout. Medicine is very challenging. You have to study extremely hard in school for many years to then continue working extremely hard throughout the course of your career. At the same time, medicine is unfortunately a business. This often means that your employers are making decisions that don't necessarily align with your beliefs or you may have to adhere to policies that you don't agree with. It is common to feel underappreciated and overworked as a medical professional. Another challenge is challenging patients. There are patients who are rude, demanding, untrusting (despite coming to you for help), etc. Regardless, it is your job as a medical professional to continue to help and treat their needs.

In order to prepare yourself, first make absolutely sure that a career in medicine is what you want. It is very challenging but can also be very rewarding. While some patients are difficult, others are incredible. You get to be a lifelong student. You get to meet and help all kinds of people. But it is not for everybody, so make sure that this is the right path for you. If you do decide that this is the right path for you, find a way to remind yourself of why you made that decision. When you encounter a challenge, it will be important to remember why you want to do this work. Another thing is to have hobbies, people, and other things that you enjoy and are important to you outside of work. You need to be able to relax and have other things in life that make you happy to balance out when things are challenging at work.

Hope this helps!
0
0

Patricia’s Answer

I think you need to be ready to work long hours, study a whole lot and sacrifice some things because of work. This field is hard but it’s very rewarding
Thank you comment icon Thank you, Patricia! michael
0