What are the greatest challenges of women in accounting?

Asked Simpsonville, South Carolina

I have taken interest to major in accounting. I hear many things on how women are discriminated against in certain career fields and majors. For example, not many engineers are women, or doctors should be men. Both of which statements that I disagree with. That leads me to ask about how are women perceived in business, specifically accounting and what challenges (if any) do most women face.
#women-in-business #accounting #accountant #business #women-in-accounting #challenges #women

Lindsey’s Answer

Updated Portland, Oregon

Hi Victoria,

That is a really good question. I am a woman working in the accounting field and so far have not felt any discrimination towards women in the workplace. I know a lot of accounting firms have trainings and initiatives to help prevent discrimination against women and other groups in the workplace. Like Rachel mentioned, PwC has blindspots training, ethics hotlines, and even a Women's Inclusion Network where forums and events are held for both men and women.

From experience, there are a lot of women in accounting. The group of people I started working with at PwC are 2/3 women. There are also a lot of managers and senior managers that are women. The firm is highly supportive of maternity leave and flexible schedules for working mothers.

I feel like there are a lot of opportunities for women in accounting. I have seen a lot of women make it high up in accounting firms.

I hope this is helpful!

Thank you for the insight!

Eula’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

Dear Victoria G.

I am glad that you are asking these questions.

I do not have a background in accounting, yet I am a woman, thus can help shed light on the issues of women, in the professional world.

We live in a world where culture has a great influence everywhere, also at work.

Culture comes from people's mindsets and this is where issues start, all sorts of issues.

Not all, but some men, might have different attitudes about women at work.

Some are open to it, appreciate that we bring our own strengths, like and accept that we are competent professionals, capable of doing the job well, just like any other person, men or women.

Remember we obtain the same training as any, so in finance this is no different.

Some people, some men and some places discriminate, but not all.

And nowadays that the problem has been clearly identified, no one is staying silent about it.

What is more important is that you feel strong and confident, as a young woman and as a professional.

Some professions were said to be only for men, until one girl said: "Hey, I'd like to do that too..!" Or said things like: "I do not want to be a housewife and stay at home and cook, I want to work.."

So today, unlike in the early 1900's where women were thought that they should only stay at home, is no more.

Times have changed, and they will continue to change by the time you graduate. And as times change, so will mindsets

What you must do, is be firm about what you want to be, as an accountant.

Be competent, be professional, know your stuff, and do your job well and you will be respected as woman and as a professional.

Do not give your attention, or your worries, and never tears, for men, who have been left behind by the times.

Women today are everything they want to be, and do not care about what some men believe.

To tell you the truth, the worst thing some, men do is try to make sexual innuendos to women.

If any ever insults you in any form or tries to make you feel undeserving, or makes crude sexual comments,

that is their problem not yours.

Do not stay silent and go to the boss and let everyone know.

Everything else is not a problem as long as you know how to do the job.

Let me know if this helps OK.

if you have any other questions, just ask us, we are always here for you.

Thank you so much! The encouragement means a lot! <3
You're welcome Victoria! We must support each other and I am glad to debunk the myth. It's an unfortunate lie. Some men, is the critical word here. Women have power and we have learned to use our inner power: competence, confidence, excellence, and this is what gains us our position in whatever field we desire. It does not matter what 'they' think - it matters more what YOU think of yourself. Go out there and conquer the world, don't worry about men or women who feel inferior.

As a woman working in accounting, personally I have not experienced any discrimination. My firm, PricewaterhouseCoopers, has various initiatives to try to ensure women are treated fairly and given opportunities. I feel supported by the firm and I do not think my being a woman has adversely influenced my career. However, I cannot speak for others' experiences.

To try to prevent this issue, PwC has mandatory blind spot training that recognizes that people's blind spots (about women, or other diverse groups, etc.) could have negative impacts on others. PwC also has an Ethics Hotline where harassment can be reported.

All in all, I do not think accounting is one of those fields with a hard to overcome systemic problem, but in truth every industry faces this challenge in varying degrees.

Thank You! I'm glad that there are workplaces like your's that encourage diversity :)