how can i improve my writing skills?
Im a decent qriter myself and i just wanted to know if i need to know or expand my writing skills. I write things like stories and books but my work doesnt seem professional enough. I just need more input on how to ake y stories sound good.
As the author of eleven books, I know the fun of writing, and also the frustration of not feeling confident of what I write. My suggestions are basic:
- read often, as we learn a lot by reading what others write. Pay close attention to how the authors address various issues, such as fear, anxiety, romance, etc.
- write daily. even if it's just a daily log, practice writing by doing it.
- ask others to read your writing. they may feel obligated to compliment, but push them to be more constructive, not telling you HOW to write, but in telling you what they are, or are not, experiencing in your words
- improve your grammar and punctuation. there are many websites that offer these tips, as well as public library books.
- pursue online writing courses. I did a quick web search for 'learn how to write' and was immediately presented with many websites with lots of tips, ideas, free tutorials and more.
- check your public library for books on writing. Talk to the librarian for assistance.
- be prepared to rewrite and rewrite often. we have a tendency to hope what we write is a finished product, but that is just where review and rewrite begins.
- use ChatGPT in you favor. That is, write some text and then let ChatGPT rewrite it. Look at what it changed and evaluate where you like the change and where you do not. This can be overused, but is helpful when you want another perspective on a paragraph.
- In summary, writing is work. Stick to it, but also have fun. Putting our thoughts and stories into written words is exciting and personally rewarding, even when no one else reads it.
- finally, consider creating a blog, such as on blogspot dot com (free). That gives you a chance to explorer sharing your words with others.
I wish you the very best. Whether you become 'successful' in writing, you will always find pleasure in writing.
The best piece of advice I've received to improve my writing is to read often and to read everywhere (e.g. books, magazines, newspaper articles, etc.). It's helpful to read and see different perspectives and voices.
One other tip - I also find that reading your writing aloud helps as well. You can write breaks between sentences to see how your writing flows in terms of tone, pacing, etc.
Medium.com is a very good place to start. Some writers even write articles that are mini grammar lessons, some with writing tips, and even how to write up a resume. It's a one-stop shop. I have improved my writing by being a part of this community and am now officially getting paid when others read my stories.
Can't go wrong! Good luck and happy writing :)