What are the qualities that an engineer should have in order to be successful?

7

Engineering department sounds complicated but interesting to me. I want to study to be an engineer. I want to work on my skills so I can be prepared for my future. #engineering

Accomplish getting your degree. It may take some time, but it's worth it. Secondly, I would apply for a co-op or an internship while in school so you can get your foot in the door somewhere into a company you are highly interested in. I will also say that even after you graduate, continue to upgrade your skills, even if that means spending a little money here and there to be certified in some courses. Hope that helps and good luck! Courtney Sanders, MBA
7

Christopher’s Answer

1

Hi Mariana (from Katy, Tx...I'm from Texas as well),

To put it simply, you have to like solving problems. And you have to be curious to ask questions (as you did in this forum). Of course, in our toolbox as engineers is a whole heap of Math so there's no getting around that. Finally, over the years and across many projects, it becomes more and more apparent that you have to have awesome honesty and character as the solutions you put in place will affect others. So study hard, ask questions and take advantage of every STEM opportunity that you can.

I hope this helps you along your journey....thx for you question :)

1

Manuel’s Answer

0

Hi Mariana,

When you study to be an engineer, you develop certain skills like problem solving and math. What we normally don't get taught in engineering school are soft skills like communication. So I would definitely work on improving communication skills, organization, team work, and all other soft skills you feel you need improving on. This will set you apart from most engineers and will set you on the right path to become successful in any field you chose to go in. Another quality of a successful engineer is passion for learning, never stop learning. I have a PhD in Science and Engineering and I work designing rocket ships, but I still take online courses to improve in areas such as electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, computer programming, law, anything that I'm curious about and want to learn more.

0

Carolyn’s Answer

0
Mariana,

Your question highly depends on what field you want to go into after college -- do you want to pursue academia (i.e. be a professor or researcher at an institution), industry, non-profit, consulting, etc?

If you want to be successful in college, a good skill to have is teamwork. There will be times when you can save much more time and understand better if you get along with your classmates. Social skills are also valuable if you end up at a large company, and honestly if you become a teacher, although most Engineering teachers are not necessary the most social people. Technically, you should be active in pursuing internships to hone your hands-on skills: nowadays, it is almost a must to have some work experience before you graduate college. Good critical thinking and problem-solving skills are also essential. In engineering, there is fewer memorization in comparison to on-your-toes thinking skills. Your exams are not about knowing equations as much as knowing how to apply examples you have learned in class in a different and more complicated way.

College engineering is heavy in math and physics. If you do computer and electrical engineering, then it'll be heavy on coding.

So it really depends on what you mean, and what timeline you are asking about.
0

Mayte’s Answer

0

Be good in math and physics in order to be successful in school. To be successful in the real life you need to be proactive, good listener, trainable, leader., analytical, attention to detail. The most important is that you need to will to learn new things.

0

Courtney’s Answer

0
Accomplish getting your degree. It may take some time, but it's worth it. Secondly, I would apply for a co-op or an internship while in school so you can get your foot in the door somewhere into a company you are highly interested in. I will also say that even after you graduate, continue to upgrade your skills, even if that means spending a little money here and there to be certified in some courses. Hope that helps and good luck!
0

Abhishek’s Answer

0
  1. Logical/analytical reasoning ability
  2. Enthusiasm for experiments and continual learning
  3. Data driven mindset

Abhishek recommends the following next steps:

• Mathematics is a must
0