What are the qualities that an engineer should have in order to be successful?

Engineering department sounds complicated but interesting to me. I want to study to be an engineer. I want to work on my skills so I can be prepared for my future. #engineering

Christopher’s Answer

Hi Mariana (from Katy, Tx...I'm from Texas as well),

To put it simply, you have to like solving problems. And you have to be curious to ask questions (as you did in this forum). Of course, in our toolbox as engineers is a whole heap of Math so there's no getting around that. Finally, over the years and across many projects, it becomes more and more apparent that you have to have awesome honesty and character as the solutions you put in place will affect others. So study hard, ask questions and take advantage of every STEM opportunity that you can.

I hope this helps you along your journey....thx for you question :)

Manuel’s Answer

Hi Mariana,

When you study to be an engineer, you develop certain skills like problem solving and math. What we normally don't get taught in engineering school are soft skills like communication. So I would definitely work on improving communication skills, organization, team work, and all other soft skills you feel you need improving on. This will set you apart from most engineers and will set you on the right path to become successful in any field you chose to go in. Another quality of a successful engineer is passion for learning, never stop learning. I have a PhD in Science and Engineering and I work designing rocket ships, but I still take online courses to improve in areas such as electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, computer programming, law, anything that I'm curious about and want to learn more.

Mayte’s Answer

Be good in math and physics in order to be successful in school. To be successful in the real life you need to be proactive, good listener, trainable, leader., analytical, attention to detail. The most important is that you need to will to learn new things.

Abhishek’s Answer

1. Logical/analytical reasoning ability
  2. Enthusiasm for experiments and continual learning
  3. Data driven mindset

Abhishek recommends the following next steps:

• Mathematics is a must