Skip to main content
2 answers
3
Updated 328 views

How hard were the classes involved with dental hygienist program and what are some good studying tips for them?

Planning on applying for this fall so any advice is helpful. Love any tips and ideas for it as well.


3

2 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Michelle’s Answer

I went through a 2 year program and I didn't find the actual classes to be difficult. Most of the challenges came from the practical/clinical part because we had to find our own volunteer patients to work on.
Classes were great. I would recommend taking notes or looking into any extra recommendations that the instructors may suggest. I didn't find the tests or exams to be difficult in comparison to everything I studied in high school. There were a few biology-related classes like "Histology" and "Head and Neck Anatomy", but generally most of the material I studied was very dental-specific. You will spend a lot of time learning specific skills, which is really nice in comparison to taking more generic courses like "biology" or "physics".
Two of the best textbooks out there are "Darby & Walsh Dental Hygiene: Theory and Practice" and "Wilkins Clinical Practice of the Dental Hygienist". If you can get your hands on one of those (even second-hand), it will help you with literally everything dental hygiene related. It might even be the textbook that they will recommend.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

martha’s Answer

I was apart of an accelerated dental hygiene program. What traditional hygiene school learns in 2 years, I was able to learn in 10 months. It was very fast paced and like drinking from a fire hose. Even with that being said, it wasn’t THAT bad.
Big thing is that if you have a passion for the dental field, and not just the pay check, things should click. Quizlets, notes, notes, notes, and befriend your classmates! Y’all are in this together, it’s not a competition- y’all all got accepted and are in the same race.
0