How do you make sure you yourself are in the best shape in order to better serve your patients ?

2

I mean holistically I know it is very important to be the best you you can be in order to really engage in your career if you could give a few tips that’ll be great #bettermebetteryou #medicine #doctor #healthcare #hospital-and-healthcare #med-school

2

Susie’s Answer

0
Right on, yes. As a professional who is caring for others, you need to make sure that you are taking care of yourself so that you are physically, emotionally, and mentally able to be fully present for the work. Prioritize sleep, eat a nutrient-dense diet with adequate calories and hydration, make time for fitness at least 3x/week (dance, resistance, swimming, stretching, meditation, yoga), and at least a bit of social time with friends. For me, time with my children is absolutely vital and sometimes knocks out all the other categories, just to spend more time with them. Many clinicians in my field also schedule time to work with a mental health professional, like an LCSW, as needed. When I worked in NICU and hospice, I made sure to make time to process the work with a professional, on my own time, as that is heavy stuff to bear. Spending time on hobbies might not happen as often as you'd like, but if you can make time for that, well done. Or make swimming, yoga, and hanging out with your kids your favorite hobbies. As a PT myself, I might also encourage you to get prompt self-care if/when you experience pain or start to develop overuse injuries. Working with a physical therapist, chiropractor, massage therapist, or someone who can guide you in how to achieve and maintain healthy posture is key. Good luck with your work.
0