Skip to main content
6 answers
8
Updated 375 views

What career(s) or industries might best fit me?

I'm good at reading, writing, I'm creative, and I'm decently with technology. My hobbies are reading, playing games, and and watching TV shows. I'm none-too-great with math, though. I'm interested in becoming something like a librarian or someone who helps manage files. What strength(s)/experience(s) do you recommend for the careers in question? How can I utilize what I'm good at to find a job/start a career in one of those fields?


8

6 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Martin’s Answer

I was in a pretty similar spot when I was younger. I liked reading, writing, being creative, and I was decent with technology, but math definitely wasn't my thing. Because of that, I was drawn to jobs where I could organize information, create things, and help people understand ideas.

Being a librarian or working with records and files could be a good fit for you. Those jobs need people who are organized, good at finding information, comfortable with technology, and able to communicate clearly.

I'd also suggest looking at creative marketing. That's the path I ended up taking in the end - or at least partially. A lot of marketing isn't just about numbers. (but also about them - mostly tracking, analytics, research - not something too math related!) It's about writing, storytelling, researching topics, coming up with ideas, managing content, and understanding what people care about. If you enjoy reading and writing, those skills can be really valuable.

One thing I've learned is that it's better to focus on what you're naturally good at than worry too much about what you aren't. Your reading, writing, creativity, and tech skills are all strengths that can lead to a successful career.

Whether you end up as a librarian, a records manager, a content manager, or in marketing, I'd look for opportunities that let you use those strengths every day. That's usually where you'll do your best work and enjoy yourself the most.

For me, a creative marketing career turned out to be a great fit, even though it wasn't something I originally considered. So don't be afraid to explore paths that use your strengths in different ways. Sometimes the right career isn't the one you expect when you're starting out.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Lorna’s Answer

To be honest a good way of seeing what job/career you would like and be good at is to find out what part-time or volunteer work is similar, related to the potential career, or gives you access to people who are already doing that job and trying that out. That really is the best low risk way to tell what parts you do and don't like which can help give you more information to narrow down your search or even expand it by exposing you to related options that you otherwise wouldn't know existed. The work experience that you get will help whether you go into that field or not especially for having things to put on your resume which can be difficult when you are first starting out. It is great to get part-time work and get paid at the same time if you can, but volunteering should also not be discounted. That can be a great way to start if you are too young for a paid position, need work experience to get your foot in the door, want to start with a lower time commitment, or you just can't do part-time work for whatever reason. You mentioned librarian as one of your interested careers, so I would suggest talking to your school and/or local community librarian or librarians and asking if they have any volunteering or part-time jobs open that you could do. Even if you aren't able to do volunteering or part-time work, I would still suggest talking to your school and/or local librarian about what their day is like, what they did to get there, etc. They are very accessible members of the community that are there to help you, so don't be afraid to ask questions.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Samantha’s Answer

Hello Anna! If you're interested in more than just working in a traditional library, a degree in library science actually opens some really exciting doors. One field that attracts a lot of library science graduates is ontology and knowledge engineering — it's all about organizing and structuring information so that computers can understand relationships between concepts, which is essentially a high-tech version of the classification systems you already study.

The reason library science is such a natural fit is that you're already being trained in the core skills: taxonomy, metadata, and controlled vocabularies. Companies in tech, healthcare, government, and publishing are hiring people with exactly that background for roles like Ontologist, Taxonomy Manager, and Information Architect — and these jobs often pay $70,000–$130,000 or more. If you want to explore it, start with Protégé (free ontology software) and look into RDF and OWL. A library science background isn't just relevant here — it's actually a real advantage.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Tiarra’s Answer

Hi Anna,
A librarian would be a great career. Also, a library's environment can be very peaceful and organized, allowing you to manage inventory and appropriate files. Studying library science may be a good fit for that career. Also, working at Barnes & Noble, McKay's, the book-processing department of thrift stores, Books-A-Million, or any local or existing bookstore would be some first-starter jobs to put on your resume and CV.

Another sector you could explore is video production, using basic tools to upload professional-looking videos to platforms such as YouTube or TikTok. This may not be a full-time job, but if you stage it professionally under a branding name or title, it may be a great addition to your resume and CV. Also, completing internships or participating in similar opportunities at local news stations may be another potential window to a career.

Additionally, working in an inventory department at a corporation or factory may offer higher wages and allow you to manage files on a larger scale. Some good entry-level or permanent jobs include supply room clerk, inventory clerk, or inventory analyst.

I'm not sure what you'll do, but I know you'll put your passion into whatever field you choose.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Ari’s Answer

As a child, I loved reading and writing, which led me to major in English. Now, I'm a lawyer, and I've found that the law is actually quite creative. When considering career options, it's important to look at how many jobs are available in a field. For example, becoming a librarian often requires an advanced degree, but there aren't many openings, and people tend to stay in those roles for a long time. On the other hand, choosing a broader major like English opens up many possibilities. You could write fiction, work in marketing, or pursue further studies to explore different paths. It's all about perspective and finding ways to express your creativity in whatever path you choose.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for question. I am glad to know you have a wide range of interest
Below are my suggestions :
1. Do you have interest to become media content provider, web page designer, YouTuber, journalists, apps developer, etc There are many careers related to your interest. You can find out more online
2. Find out more n these careers and what you have interest
3. Speak to someone who are working in these careers. Seek guidance from your mentor, school careers counselor, your parents, etc
4. Shirtlist 1-2 careers you would like to pursue
5. Explore the entry criteria of relevant subjects in colleges
Hope this helps! Good luck!
May Almighty God bless you!
0