Skip to main content
9 answers
10
Asked 460 views

How do you avoid feeling stuck when your career doesn't go in a straight line What mindset helped you navigate your career most effectively? How do you motivate yourself??

Hi, my name is Daria. I am a senior studying information sciences, and I want to break into UX design.


10

9 answers


0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Daisy’s Answer

Hi Daria! I studied Forensic Accounting during my undergrad, and my graduate degree is in Education. After school, I worked in immigration consulting and the nonprofit sector, and now I work in marketing, specifically leading social impact programs for a global company. So, I certainly didn’t follow a straight line when it comes to my career trajectory!

My advice is to think of building your career as building a house, one skill block at a time. Every experience and skill you gain becomes another block that you can build on. Ask yourself: What makes me happy? What am I good at? And what do I want to do less of? Then, try to align your next role as closely as possible with those answers. Your career doesn’t have to follow a perfectly defined path — as long as you’re intentional about the skills and experiences you’re building along the way, I’m sure you can find work that feels both meaningful and rewarding!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Aml’s Answer

Hi Daria,

One of the biggest mindset shifts that helped me navigate my career was realizing that a career doesn't have to be a straight line to be a successful one.

Sometimes what feels like a detour is actually giving you skills that become valuable later. Your Information Sciences background, for example, can be an advantage in UX because UX sits at the intersection of technology, users, research, problem-solving, and business.

If you want to break into UX, I would focus less
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Tabatha’s Answer

Hi Daria! One thing that I did when I felt like my career wasn't heading in that "straight line" that you reference in your question was to pause and reflect on what I truly enjoyed doing. I took time to look at my skill set, education, and passion helped me realign and I found a position that is very rewarding. Don't be afraid to talk to people about their careers and what they like/don't like. It can be very beneficial!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Nicole’s Answer

Hi Daria, I love this question because it perfectly describes my career so far. When I look back, the dips, curves, and zig-zags are often my favourite parts, and they led to some of the best opportunities.

My biggest pieces of advice are: stay curious, obsess over what you find fun, and keep asking questions, just like you're doing now!

The mindset that helped me most was being willing to start before I felt 100% ready. A lot of growth comes from embracing the discomfort. You don't have to know everything to get started, you just have to trust that you'll put in the work and figure things out along the way.

But seriously, don't forget the fun. Nerd out over it, try things simply because they interest you, not because you know they'll lead somewhere or because they align with your experience or education. Some of my most valuable and cherished experiences and connections have come from projects I started "just for fun."
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jezlea’s Answer

Hi Daria! Feeling stuck when your career isn't moving in a straight line is something almost everyone experiences. The truth is that a nonlinear path isn't a sign that something is wrong. It's usually a sign that you're growing in ways that don't always show up immediately. The mindset that helps most is learning to detach your sense of progress from a fixed timeline. When you stop measuring yourself against where you thought you'd be and start paying attention to what you're actually learning and building, the pressure shifts and clarity tends to follow. Every role, pivot, or unexpected detour is adding something to your foundation even when it doesn't feel that way in the moment.

Motivation is trickier because it comes and goes and waiting for it to show up before you take action is a trap. What works better is building small, consistent habits that keep you moving even on the days when inspiration isn't there. Discipline and routine will carry you further than motivation ever will.

Most importantly, try not to compare your chapter two to someone else's chapter ten. Everyone's timeline looks different up close, and the people who seem the furthest ahead are often dealing with their own version of uncertainty behind the scenes. Stay focused on your own lane, keep showing up, and trust that consistency compounds over time even when you can't see it yet.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Steph’s Answer

Hi Daria,

As others have pointed out, fulfilling and interesting careers are often full of tangents and pivots, especially nowadays. With technology, job expectations and culture changing so noticeably from year to year, it's really helpful to adopt a mindset of flexibility and really to expect and welcome change. A "crooked line" can often even be a boon to your career path, rather than a liability. You build so many skills that others with more straightforward career paths may not have.

From my own experience, as someone who spent the first 8 years of their career in one area (graphic design, marketing), to then pivot into Front End Web Development, I have realized that embracing and being excited by change and possibility have been a real assets to me in my career. As has really drawing on what I'd worked on and developed up to my career pivot, which has helped me so much: good, empathic communication; translating the complex into the comprehendible; proactivity, and excellent organization and clarity around expectations and deliverables.

In the area you're focusing on now, you will be developing certain skills and abilities that will naturally translate to your intended area of study/work in UX. UX is really about understanding audiences, being empathic to the needs of different users, and being able to translate this research into coherent knowledge bases and guiding materials for design teams and developers.

Being open to different perspectives, and really following what genuinely excites you, will translate well into your current and future career trajectory. And to express the obvious that nevertheless is worth repeating: having a positive, optimistic and energetic attitude throughout it all will be very appealing to employers. Remember - your story is more interesting for the ebbs and flows, as everything builds on and is uniquely informed by what you have done before!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Paco’s Answer

Hi Daria, careers rarely follow a straight path. They often feel like a series of experiments, with some working out and others not. The key is to keep learning and growing. Even if a new role doesn't succeed, you can still learn from it. Stay motivated by choosing experiences you want to try. If a successful 'experiment' leads to a promotion, that's great!

Also, pay attention to your energy levels. If you feel energized and enjoy your work, keep going. If that energy fades, it might be time to try something new.

Stay curious and open to new experiences. Life is too valuable to live in a straight line. Good luck!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rocío’s Answer

Hi Daria,

On feeling stuck - you can't control the external environment, but you can control your reaction to it.

I recommend cultivating two mindsets: gratitude for the journey you’ve taken and an openness to continuous learning. That way, wherever you land, you'll bring a distinct toolkit to the table.

If you want to break into UX design, I would recommend building the skills necessary for the role, such as staying curious, running user research, (from exploratory to validation), work in multidisciplinary environments, communication and collaboration, and problem-solving.

There are several great online resources available to you starting tomorrow (dropping a few below). Additionally, working on hands-on problems through an internship or volunteer work will help you apply this toolkit and build your portfolio.

https://ixdf.org/
https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us
https://www.nngroup.com/
https://dschool.stanford.edu/
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Amy’s Answer

Hi Daria! Your career doesn't have to follow a straight line. In fact, it's more fun when it doesn't! Don't be afraid to explore new things or follow your curiosity. You never know where that new skill or experience may lead you.

I went from majoring in Flute Performance to being a Director in web experimentation, which definitely wasn't a straight path that I could have predicted. When you find that you're interested in a different direction, learn as much as you can about it. Take advantage of free online courses, videos, articles, and communities. Seek out mentors who are already doing the kind of work you're curious about. You can learn so much by simply asking questions like you have here!

Follow what genuinely excites you and don't be afraid to go after the roles that you really want. You don't have to have the entire path figured out before you start!
0