Is it hard to become a Pharmacist?

Asked Pikeville, Kentucky

My name is Rachel and i'm an 8th grader at Pikeville Junior High School in Pikeville, Ky. I'm interested in being a pharmacist. I'm wanting to know how hard it is to become a pharmacist and is the hard work worth it?

#pharmacy

Mary’s Answer

Hi Rachel! It's so awesome that you're interested at a young age. It does take hard work to get through college & pharmacy school. It is up to you to determine if it is worth it. You should ask yourself why are you interested in pharmacy? If it is just for the money, then it is probably not worth it. The journey to becoming a pharmacist will be stressful but I personally think it's worth it because I love patient-care. I also love being able to use my knowledge of chemistry, biology, and math in order to help my patients.

Mary recommends the following next steps:

• Volunteer somewhere, preferably somewhere health-care related (ex: hospital)
  • Work as a pharmacy technician/trainee when you're old enough
  • Complete college pre-requisites for pharmacy school