What's the best thing about attending an HBCU?

6

Jaime’s Answer

An HBCU experience is one of a kind. The energy is contagious. You can't help but feel a strong sense of pride every time you step foot on campus. I attended a liberal arts HBCU (Spelman College) and truly enjoyed the smaller class sizes, ability to build close relationships with faculty and staff, and have made lifelong friends with likeminded, goal oriented people. I would not trade my HBCU experience for anything! The person who introduced me to the world of recruiting met me at a career fair at Spelman and was excited to attend that career fair because she attended an HBCU herself. I met her in 2012 and have been recruiting ever since with companies like Facebook and Airbnb. My now fiancé attended Morehouse College and I would have never met him if I had not attended an HBCU. I owe so much to Spelman and am so grateful I had the experience to attend such an amazing, one of a kind institution!

0

Laura’s Answer

The best thing is the culture! Being around people that look like you, and just different experience from good to bad are life changing. You also build a great bond with students, teachers, and the community as a whole. HBCU really make you face life and learn life out side your family. Well it did for me lolol. But, i learned my self and what I wanted out of life! So the experience is what you make it!

0

Taylor’s Answer

The best thing about attending an HBCU is being able to choose your friends. Before attending an HBCU, I went to schools that did not include a lot of people that looked like me. In most cases all of us would form friendship groups due to trying to find a safe space to be ourselves. It wasn't until I attended an HBCU that I realized that I may not have chosen those people to be friends if I would have more options. HBCUs give you the opportunity to meet many different kinds of people that may come from similar or different backgrounds.

It really wasn't until after I graduated that I was able to recognize how much attending an HBCU shaped me. I'm proud of my blackness and it also gave me the strength to step in any situation and shine.

There is so much pride that HBCU alumni have and you can feel it anytime you interact with them. The support and education is unmatched.

0

Antuane’s Answer

This is a pretty general question , with a variety of "right" answers. In my experience it was the full sense of community. In high school, I was viewed as a representative of my community, people, etc., because there weren't a lot of minorities there. So everything was magnified. At Cheyney University, we were all representatives of ourselves and we supported each other in that way. We all challenged each other to be our best and it's spurred lifelong friendships. It's why we go back to homecoming every year and attend alumni meetings in the various cities in which we live.

0

Doloris’s Answer

Personally, my experience was enhanced by being around people similar to me. While the obvious similarity is race, it was amazing to meet other first generation college students and people with similar familial backgrounds. Education wise, I felt like I was truly a part of a community and built lasting personal and professional relationships. It was an awesome feeling not just being a student number but an actual person to our instructors and administration.

0

Montressa’s Answer

Being around people that love you for you. They are trying to be great just as you are. I really think the best thing about attending and HBCU was my first chicken Wednesday. You would think the entire campus missed class, we didn't you just build your schedule around it. Also the smaller class sizes were perfect where and the professor could give attention and assist you when needed.

0