Brand managers are responsible for ensuring that the products, services and product lines that fall under their domain resonate with current and potential customers. To do so, these professionals continuously monitor marketing trends and keep a close eye on competitive products in the marketplace. They also regularly meet with clients and senior management, and they oversee a team of junior marketers.
Working under marketing managers or CMOs, brand managers serve as the point-person for developing, implementing and executing marketing initiatives and activities for their particular brand. These initiatives and activities include campaigns (print, web, social media, broadcast, etc.), events, corporate responsibility programs and sponsorships.
- Most colleges and universities offer bachelor’s degree programs in marketing or in business with a concentration in marketing. However, brand managers are not required to have a specific degree or academic background. On the other hand, they’re expected to have expert knowledge about marketing and related subjects (advertising, market research, consumer behavior, marketing analytics) culled from years of hands-on experience in the industry and in the marketing field.
Where do Brand Managers work?
Most brand managers work in a business or corporation. The brand manager may be in charge of their own team of marketers and creative, communications and digital professions, or they may be part of a larger shared-services marketing department where resources and personnel are shared across brands.
The Brand Manager’s skill set
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Comfort with CRM software
- In-depth understanding of the company’s current products and future concepts
- A willingness to listen
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively
- Budget-management skills and proficiency
- Professional judgment and discretion that comes from years of experience in the field
- Analytical skills to forecast and identify trends and challenges
- Familiarity with the latest trends, technologies and methodologies in graphic design, web design, production, etc.
All the best for you!!!