What steps should I take to prepare myself to be a Sales Manager?

6

Bryan’s Answer

Understand how to work in a team environment and learn how to create a strong working relationship with individuals. Learn to listen.

Thanks, Is there more I should know about this field? Jessiah B.

1

Alexandra’s Answer

Hi Jessiah,

First, I'd recommend joining a sales team. Learn the ins and outs of being a sales person, and decide what industry and sales type you'd like to manage (inside sales, outside sales, inbound call center). Experience is the best teacher, in my opinion, and having sales experience will give you the best insight into how to be a good sales manager.

Thanks, Is there anything else I should know? Jessiah B.

1

Jp’s Answer

To be a good manager, would like to suggest having management knowledge plus practice. It is important you have good communication skillset, and understand people from different angle which includes culture background, gender, age etc. All these experience come from practice. Reading book can give your knowledge, real practice can provide chance to be a successful manager.

1

Melissa’s Answer

Great question! I would suggest you first join a sales organization and learn how to sell before moving into leadership. There are many companies that have sales development programs where you can start in a sales development role and work your way through the sales organization to gain different skills at each level. This will also give you the insight to determine if sales management is the direction you would like to pursue.
0

Clarissa’s Answer

Hi, it is great you are interested to do Sales. I would suggest the followings:
1) During your school holidays, do a temporary job in Sales. It can be selling any product. It gives you the exposure of working as a Sales person, talking to potential customers, pitching for the products or services, and understand the entire sales process.
2) Join a sales organization after you graduate. You may have to start from the bottom. Some large organizations have trainee programs, and you may start as Sales support role.
3) Take online courses on Sales to develop your skills. Eg. Presentation skills, negotiation skills, etc.

All the best!
0

David J’s Answer

Start simple.

If management is your calling you must scale your leadership capacity.

Read a book or listen to a book on leadership, sales, or self development.

Its unfortunate that they don’t teach these skills to often in a school setting.

Studies show that if you study any give subject for 5 minutes a day, within 2 years you would gain experience worth a college degree.

Some of my faves would be, Leadership and Self Deception , The One Minute Manger, and The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People.

Also... YouTube Leadership, Sales, or Motivational Speakers.

Listening to great leaders will help you adopt their attributes as a leader and speaker.

If leadership is your calling start now!

0