As a midwife how do you deal with handling a parent when the child does not make it?

Asked New York, New York

Hi I am a student at Achievement First Brooklyn High School, and I'm interested in being a midwife because I want to bring life into the world. I am scared of losing someone's child and having to see the pain that the parent has to go through. #midwifery

Michelle’s Answer

So, this answer isn't exactly touchy feely, but it's a way to cope. First, if you do your job correctly, you are are not "losing their child." I would imagine that if you were somehow responsible, the burden of this would truly be hard to deal with, and I have known a few people who left their profession as a result. It is inevitable that you will care for a mom and family who do lose their child. Mainly what they need is your kind supportive presence and all questions answered as honestly as possible. Sometimes I cry too, and it's ok. But it gets easier the more times you do it.

Daniela’s Answer

Updated State of Goiás, State of Goiás, Brazil

Hi Caitilin,

This article is so beautiful and deep. Take a read. I'm sure it'll be very helpful:

http://www.dyingmatters.org/page/soul-sister

All the best!