What’s the best career option for me?
I’m going to get a degree in English. I’ve had a passion for writing for as long as I can remember. Ideally, I’d like to find a nice writing job that’d be perfect for a very shy, quiet introvert like myself—in other words, a writing job with minimal interaction with others.
I understand if this is too much to ask for, but it’s a dream of mine to find a job as perfect as what I just described. english
You know what? You're on the right track! One of the best pieces of advice I've ever received was to try to match my career to things that I am passionate about; and I would tell you the same. If you have a passion for writing, that's great - go for it. It also sounds like you are in tune to HOW you'd like to work as well, and that's another plus.
You know that you love to write, but what topics are you most interested in writing about? Do you enjoy research as well? Down the line you might become an expert on a particular topic (or topics), and spend your career writing about them in books, publications and via the web. There are also technical writers that work for companies writing guides and manuals for internal and external use. Whatever you do with it, the ability to write well is valuable.
I often facilitate sessions on introversion and extroversion, and I always share with participants that whether you are an introvert or an extrovert, the way you think and work is valuable. I want you to know that as well. There is a book called "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain. Check it out someday.
Good luck to you!
Kendra recommends the following next steps:
Here is a list of careers you may be interested in:
- Copy editor - works on pieces of text (books, newspapers, online articles, magazines) for publication, ensuring that it is free from errors and reads well.
- Proofreader - spotting mistakes on publications that authors, editors and typesetters might have missed.
- Newspaper/magazine editor - manages the style and content of their work.
- Online tutor (English) - supports students who are studying courses over the internet.
- Publishing editor - responsible for publishing books, journals, periodicals, newspapers and online articles.
- Indexer - creates indexes at the end of documents.
Molly recommends the following next steps: