What jobs can I get with an English degree?

6
6

Paul’s Answer

3
Hi Shea:

There are a great number of opportunities that you can pursue with an English degree. I am currently a freelance writer and a certified Technical Writer, and I can tell you about many of the possible avenues you can pursue in this particular area.

Many of the post English major opportunities have moved into online markets. This is particularly true with many social media outlets. Online companies utilize English majors to develop written proposals and to help them manage their online media resources. Some are placed in public relations or marketing positions. Blogging seems to be very popular in the present market, so there are many job opportunities for English majors in this area.

Technical Writing: There is a need for composition in the areas of manuals, websites, and technical communications. I obtained a technical writing certification because I wrote a large number of manuals and documents in my position at a local college. So this might be an area to research further.

Public Relations: There is a need for writers in the area of online media, magazines, newspapers, radio and television. Creative writing skills are required for many of these positions because public press releases come from these particular entities.

Attorney of Law Positions: I also have a certificate in paralegal studies because I used to be a police officer. By taking legal writing courses I was better able to effectively communicate with the attorneys who worked on my particular cases. Writing skills are greatly needed in the legal profession. This includes the ability to write briefs, contracts, memorandums and courtroom documentation. The need to be able to write a form of legal language (IRAC or FIRAC), which is not only required within the industry, but also needed to pass the bar exam.

Grant Writer: These writer must be able to write in a way in which they can convince constituents of their need for public or private funding. This includes an ability to review, edit and modify documents for the organization they are writing for. This can include non-profit organizations, or even arts and cultural entities.
Fundraisers can also fit into this category. Writers, who fundraise, develop effective communications and media to obtain funding from potential donors.

Librarian: Individuals who work in libraries must have good English and reading skills. They must know how to utilize resources within the library system and be able to guide library patrons to those resources.

Editor and Content Manager: Editors must be able to accurately review submissions for magazines and book publishers. There are also opportunities with online freelance sites where writers can provide feedback and editing for customers, companies and other organizations within their organizations network.

Human Resources: I was responsible for developing my organizations policy and procedure manual for our employees. I also developed advertisements for job openings and wrote training materials for staff development. So there are available openings in human resources in both the public and private sector.

Teaching: There is a great need for teachers in both the secondary schools, colleges and in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses. Matter of fact I know one individual, who joined the Peace Corps, and is now teaching the English language to students in East Africa. There are also many opportunities in Asia, because many of these countries emphasize learning English as a way to be able to compete in the world markets.

So you can see there are many possible opportunities for you to pursue in this particular area. I hope this has been helpful in your future job research.

Paul G

Paul recommends the following next steps:

• Determine which area of English you would like to specialize in (Creative Writing, Technical Writing, Business Comminication) etc..
  • Rsearch which jobs match your specific areas of interest.
  • Review online freelance writing sites, to see what kind of opportunities and demand there is for specific writing skills.
  • See an academic advisor or a job advisor at a college or university to determine which path you would like to pursue.
I agree with this, especially the next steps. My only tweak would be to research the job you want, then work backwards toward a specialization. Francisco Salanga III
3

Summer’s Answer

1
What I learned from my English major experience: This degree is an earned SKILL not a direct door to certain jobs. This means that English can help you with starting a career in all sorts of industries (and the ability to change later on if you'd like). Anything that has to do with communication/writing etc. are great ins. I interned for events marketing in college, started a tech sales gig out of college, and 3 years later created a role in my tech company for workplace services. SO MUCH IS POSSIBLE with an English degree, especially if you roll with the changes that life will send your way. I'm so excited for you whether you pursue this or not!
1

Daniel’s Answer

0
Don't think just because you study in one field that you are limited to jobs in that field. I studied Journalism and started in IT (and I am still in this industry). Think it about it like this; the skills you learn from your English degree, how are they transferable to a job type that you are passionate about. Passion trumps skills in most cases :-)
0

Hamza’s Answer

0
Well, it depends on why you chose to study English in the first place. However, teaching ESL
overseas might be the best choice, for it is full of new experiences that ignite your knowledge of the different cultures around the world.
0

kailash’s Answer

0
A lot many according to the job markets availability and the interest you can garner , potential ones can range from copywritting , teaching , journalist , a content marketter etc .
If you have time and resources you could also try your luck into other forms of writting like blogs , or novel writting , script writting.
0