whats the most difficult part about having thus job

Asked Gary, Indiana

What problems do you see the most on this job #job

G. Mark’s Answer

A complaint I get from many new employees is that they performed well in school, they were obviously talented enough to get the job, they do their assignments completely, but they aren't making as much progress as they think they should. The problem is that they are performing their job exactly as they performed in their college days. In college, you are usually an individual contributor being judged on personal performance of assigned tasks.

In a job, you are likely to be part of a team. And to maximize the effectiveness of the team, you need to leverage the abilities and attention of other team members. You need to sell your ideas, interact with and communicate with others. Eventually you'll need to share your knowledge with new employees so that you can move to other assignments. You need to explain new ideas to other people. Whereas in college, you were learning what other smart people have already discovered and other students were reading or watching, in work your job is not to reiterate what is already known, but to share any insights or innovations or problem solutions with others that you personally have generated.

So while others may have shared the specific challenges of their job, the thing that tends to differentiate a job from training for a job is the practical needs of business. And business differentiates itself from competition by taking what is already known, building on it, and sharing this intellectual capital via communication.

Tom’s Answer

Updated Corona, California

I'm a Marketing Manager working remotely from home. I'd say the most difficult part of my job is to stay connected with everyone and be able to build the connections and meaningful relationships with my colleagues around the globe and in the HQ office. Secondary to that would be continue the drive to work independently by myself everyday and take initiative to be self-dependent.

In a corporate world, networking is extremely important, not only for career progression, but also to reach the goals of your job. For example, I'm building our Marketing Analytics programs from the ground up. In doing so, it's very important to network with others from other teams to learn from their best practices and leverage what they've already done, so I don't spend time recreating the wheel.

Tom recommends the following next steps:

• Network with professors, coworkers, etc. Even people from outside of your network/comfort zone - Try someone in the field that you don't know but you'd like to connect by sending a polite and inviting note on LinkedIn or email
  • Create a roadmap to reach your goal. Identify what's your career goal (e.g. in 5 years I'd like to be a Product Marketing Manager at Company X), and map out concrete steps you need to take to get there
  • Take public speaking classes