I'm happy to hear you have found a passion for cars and hope that you continue to follow that passion into a rewarding career. I will try my best to give you some steps to follow and become a mechanic/automotive technician.
- Get an Education: While school can seem daunting at times it is the foundation to all rewarding careers. My recommendation is while in high school, take as many math and science classes as you can to learn invaluable problem solving and critical thinking skills that will help you later in your career. Throughout high school strive to maintain a high Grade Point Average (GPA) as it will set you apart when you apply for post secondary school. Receive your Highschool Diploma.
- Apply for Vocational Program: After highschool to set yourself up for success, you'll need to complete some postsecondary education. A vocational or certification program will teach you the basics of functioning and maintenance of vehicles and their systems. There are several programs that you can choose from, including the following: Intro to automotive technology, Diesel Service Techniques, Automotive Electrical Fundamentals, Fuel and Emissions Systems.
- Update your Resume: Create a Resume to hand to prospective employers, and be proud of the successful milestones and involvement you had during your time in highschool and vocational school .
- Gain Experience and Skills: As soon as you're done with your postsecondary education, you'll likely start off at an entry level position. Apply to work at local mechanics and dealerships.
- Communication is key: Being friendly and working for your clients in a respectful manner will assure that you create strong relationships and repeat business for your employer!
- Pass all Necessary State exams: To get licensed in the state you live in, you’ll likely have to take and pass an exam.
- Ask other mechanics for tips and spend time outside your work reading up on your field: This will help you set your self apart from other mechanics and will allow you to stay ahead of the curve.
Good luck on your Journey! Hard work and dedication will get you to your goal of becoming an automotive technician. Set backs are bound to happen, take them in stride and use the situation you're place in to learn. Celebrate your successes and develop lasting friendships along the way.