Is teaching as rewarding as it sounds

5
5

Laura’s Answer

0
Yes! It’s very rewarding to see your students grow, learn, and succeed in their efforts! There can be a number of challenges, and sometimes it can be difficult to motivate students, but as far as having a job that fills your heart, there is nothing as rewarding as teaching! It takes a few years to get really good at it (good teachers make it look easy, but it can be overwhelming at first), but once you’ve learned to manage your classroom and recognize how to reach your students individually, you’re well on your way to feeling rewarded every day.

I’ve worked with students from pre-k to adult and each job I’ve had has had its own focus. With adults I teach job readiness skills and it makes an immediate and meaningful impact in their lives. With young children it’s rewarding to see them master new skills, both social and academic, and gain confidence in their ability to learn. It’s also rewarding when you see students later in life and they recognize the contributions you made.

I will add that to achieve great rewards you have to anticipate making great investment. Teaching, when done well, takes a lot of thought and energy. It can be intellectually and emotionally rigorous (thank goodness for summer and winter breaks!). You find yourself thinking about the needs of your students day and night. There are also a lot of challenges and outside noise (policies, difficult people, lack of resources), but when your focus is on your students, their learning and their wellbeing, you’ll find it to be one of the most rewarding careers imaginable.

Laura recommends the following next steps:

• Talk to and interview teachers
  • Find an extraordinary teacher and shadow/observe them in their practice
  • Ask your own teachers questions about why they do things the way they do
  • Look for teachers worthy of emulation, emulate them
  • Start thinking about your own teaching philosophy
0

Bob’s Answer

0
I've been working with teachers in higher education for the past 25 years. Education is a very noble purpose and makes a difference in the world. If you are considering a career as a teacher, do your research and find out what level would be a good fit for you: elementary, secondary, etc. Then research the disciplines that you would enjoy teaching. Most important, talk with people who are in education working as teachers and ask them about the career: How did you get started, what do you like/dislike about the profession, what are the challenges and what skills are needed to be successful. Hope this helps, Bob
0

Norman’s Answer

0
It is very rewarding but has very different levels, volunteer, kinder, grammar, HS ,Co-op Vo-tech, College, but each has its own constraints be it money, time or involvement.
I have taught at volunteer & College ,Grad& Post-war grad as well as in prison of all of them I enjoyed Teaching at prison as the student body wanted to grow more than any other
Groupe. Furthermore, when they were let out of the system they, for the most part , went on to strive to be the best employee's
0