What is your personal experience with the 2008 financial crisis and the effects of it?

2

How has it impacted your life?
#experience

2

Bill’s Answer

0
Good question!

It was obviously painful, stressful experience from a long-term investment/retirement perspective as most of us watched our revenue numbers drop significantly during that period.

For me it has ultimately meant that I will need to work at least four more years than was planned prior to that time to make up the lost retirement revenue.

If I had to pick a bright spot it was the reinforcement that these are a long-term investments and most of the places where the money was invested have recovered.
0

Ann’s Answer

0
Hi Ella,

This is a very insightful question. Thank you for asking. It had a tremendous impact on my career. I had just graduated from college shortly before the crisis. I originally wanted to go into marketing research, but in a recession like that, marketing budgets are often first to go. On the other hand, a lot of people were going back to school to be more competitive in the job competition. So I ended up working in higher education. It wasn't in my plan, but I love working with students.

Hope this helps!
0