Why did you go into teaching when welding pays so well?

3
3

Nisha’s Answer

0
Hi Jose',

I am a woman. Although women are entitled to careers in welding, I don't think that welding would be a good fit for me. In terms of salary, teachers make the same and, in some cases, more pay than welders. Therefore, I don't think that salary is a good determining factor for choosing between teaching and welding.

A difference that I see is the level of education required for each. Welding is a trade and the skill and certification can be acquired in less time than earning a college degree.

After teaching for 8 years, I went to trade school and learned IT Network Engineering. My salary is double what I made as a teacher and it required less schooling/education. However, in IT we are on a continuous learning path because technology is constantly evolving. Therefore, as I T person you have to make a commitment to be a life-long learner.

One final note about Teachers. Teachers don't go into teaching for the money. Teachers choose this career path because they love making a difference and touching lives in the process.

Advice: Choose a career that you enjoy and love. Money isn't everything and it doesn't necessarily bring you happiness.
0

Kelly’s Answer

0
This is a great question! There are many reasons, all of which I think are important things to consider whether you are a student or teacher.

1) There was no one in my environment and no examples in school (K-12 and then college) that led me to know about or be curious about welding. In graduate school, however, I made a film with a Career and Technical Education school that had a welding program and it was fascinating! I could even imagine wanting to do it myself, but at the time, I already had fallen in love with the career and science of teaching.

2) I have spent a lot of time introspecting on what I like about teaching since I was in elementary school. My heart and mind are aligned in believing that I love working in education, with students, with families, with teachers, with coaches and guidance counselors, with administrators, with researchers and with policymakers. I love the community work and all the creative aspects of the work. Given the introspection that I have done and practical experiences I used to test my intuitions, I know that it is a good fit.

So, from these two points, I can recommend that: 1) You explore as many work options as possible before choosing and even look for possible career options outside of your comfort zone or known ideas about the world; 2) Consider volunteering, an internship, or on-the-job visits (if you can) so you see whether something fits your personality, interests and learning style well.

Nowadays internet searches and youtube can help you look up and take a glimpse into different occupations. Are you considering welding?

0